• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drag link length on 3" lift

Subsonicgroove

NAXJA Forum User
Bought an '01 xj last year with a 3" lift already installed (not sure of the lift manufacturer). I decided to start replacing/upgrading suspension as my funds become available. Mostly because the tie rod and drag link bushings look pretty shot and i'm experiencing what I believe is the beginning of the dreaded death wobble but, also because the previous owner couldn't tell me how old the lift was (since he was away with the military).

My question is...

Is it safe to assume that the drag link will be the same length as stock? Or will that have changed when the lift was added?

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

The changes necessary for a 3 inch lift are: a longer adjustable track bar, longer front soft brake lines, and longer sway bar links. All the rest of the steering will be stock parts.

Last edited:
The trackbar (draglink) should be replaced with a "good" one. Don't buy anything with a TRE on it, double shear is the recommended one along with a brace.

A lot of ???. What size tires? Was the trackbar replace during the lift or the stock one retained? What other parts are stock vs 'upgraded'? If your trackbar has been upgraded, then possibly just replacing the bushings. I had one I bought used. One of the bushings was slotted about 1/16 of an inch or more. The person I bought it from said he only wheeled it 5 times. Also, check the steering stabilizer. Unbolt one end. Push it each way. There should be no slop. Should have resistance.

The trackbar (draglink) should be replaced with a "good" one. Don't buy anything with a TRE on it, double shear is the recommended one along with a brace.

93988d1329023285t-front-end-suspension-question-xj-20front-20suspension.jpg

Tim_MN wrote:
The changes necessary for a 3 inch lift are: a longer adjustable track bar....
This ^

I'll add, after installing the adj. track bar, get a 4 wheel alignment by a shop that knows what they're doing.

stock works at 3"

It will work but the front end will not be centered.
If on a budget, the axle end can be redrilled to locate the track bar in the right place, properly centering the front end.
http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoTrackbar.htm

I agree a double shear mount for the top is best on a well built rig but it is not needed on a light duty rig, with small tires.
My 2001 runs a Kevin's kit, along with a DIY brace and the super hard bushings, no death wobble in over 200,000 miles .

Last edited:
I've got a ext trackbar mount that I have had for 20yrs, I lend it out to newbies and it always come back shortly thereafter.

Back