• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ring gear carrier, bearing removal

wingnutooa

NAXJA Forum User
is there an easy way to do this.

i need to save the bearings so i can set up the gears with the proper shims but i'm not real sure how to get them off.

has someone build a tool. is there a way i can do this without paying the machine shop...which will ruin the bearings anyway.

It's cheaper to replace the bearings than to buy the tool. I don't have the Yukon tool, but instead I use a bearing spreader. I've only boogered up one cage on one bearing, but was able to save it.

i suppose so.

i'm setting up 4.56's in a 44/30

i've got new bearings but i didnt want to buy another set of new just to make setup bearings out of them.

guess its the easiest route.

i suppose so.

i'm setting up 4.56's in a 44/30

i've got new bearings but i didnt want to buy another set of new just to make setup bearings out of them.

guess its the easiest route.
I would think so, should be around $50/pair, would probably be your best bet. You could also put the shims on the outside, between the outer race and housing. Its not the recommended way, but plenty do it.

You can buy set-up bearings.

Back