• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM fog light problem

cc chasse

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend My wife took her 2000 XJ to the car wash. when she came home the driving lights were on with out the head lights and they wouldn't turn off. I figured something got wet so I disconnected the battery and let it sit to see it the problem resolved itself. The next day I hooked the battery back up and the lights went on:rattle: .
I played with the switch and was able to turn them off and on (still with out turning on the headlights which shouldn't happen). and a new problem developed the green light on the switch stays on weather the switch is on or off. in fact it gets brighter when its in the off position.
I looked for the relay and can't find it I see a spot marked right and left fog light on the panel under the hood but there isn't any thing there.

:banghead: I need to find the problem it's her DD. Any sugestion!!!! Please

oem fog switch is notorious for going bad. i dont think it uses a relay, i could be wrong. lighst probobly got wet and overloaded the switch. the switch may have melted internally and now is in the closed position.

I agree I don't remember ever seeing a relay. I have replaced that fog light switch and the rear wiper switch that were J/Y stuff. $1 each from a pick n pull.

I would think that if it was the switch I wouldn't work at all. The switch is turning them on and off but the green light on the switch stays on regardless. Also It doesn't mater if the ignition or headlights are on or off. I'm very confused by that.

I'm going to disconnect the switch tonight and test it.If that's not the problem at least she'll be able to drive it until we find the problem.

Does anyone know where they hide the relay since they are not in spaces in the panel under the hood.

I went to disconnect the switch and try to chase the problem and found that the factory fog lights must have been added at the dealer. Since their is a plug coming frome the main wiring which is not connected and a plug to the switch which is connected and is wired by itself. I traced the wire thru the fire wall and found that it went to a relay just laying next to the main dirstibution panel then an in line fuse then to the lights.

I pulled the relay and the contacts are all green so I ordered a new one today. I hope it's the problem.

Back