• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

What about this
TransGo # 340-HD2 Reprogramming Kit

TransGo # 340-HD2 Reprogramming Kit $108 ebay

Stopped by the transmission shop and $285 labor to install.

Looks like Summit Racing has them for $100 too. I may pick one up for my jeep since I dented the tranny pan and have to drop it now anyways. It should compliment the RADesigns controller I plan on getting as well very nicely. Total AW4 control!!

Summit + handling fee, it is cheaper with ebay and free shipping.

I would be pretty interested in something like this. I hate how the aw4 always wants to shift into OD and then just bogs down, and I have to mash the gas to get it to shift down so I can accelerate, esp on the highway. I usually find myself running in 3rd when I'm cruising instead of OD.

I would be pretty interested in something like this. I hate how the aw4 always wants to shift into OD and then just bogs down, and I have to mash the gas to get it to shift down so I can accelerate, esp on the highway. I usually find myself running in 3rd when I'm cruising instead of OD.

X2

I was looking at the trans-go kit but i was reading on supra fourm and i can just shim the accumulators and get the same result looks pretty streight foward too. I have a spare aw4 I grabed so the plan is to shim it and tie the kickdown cable wide open and cross my fingers, hope im not about to flush a $150 trans down the sh!tter

When I rebuilt my aw4 a friend that runs a trans shop gave me a tip. The pressure regulator in the valve body is adjustable. He suggested increasing the pressure one quarter turn as opposed to shift kit. Works great. I have pictures for a future writeup if I ever get around to it.

Id love to see some pics of it so know what im looking at When I pull the valve body .

When I rebuilt my aw4 a friend that runs a trans shop gave me a tip. The pressure regulator in the valve body is adjustable. He suggested increasing the pressure one quarter turn as opposed to shift kit. Works great. I have pictures for a future writeup if I ever get around to it.

Do you know exactly how much the pressure increases? According to the fsm the adjustability is roughly only 5 psi.

You are describing an issue that will not be solved by a shift kit. If your engine is bogging in OD and you have poor acceleration on the highway, this is most likely a gearing issue. With proper gearing (4:88's with 33" tires) and the shift kit installed in "Truck mode", the trans shifts firmly between gears and the trans stays in OD longer on hills before it needs to drop into 3rd to maintain speed, so it appears that there is more line pressure being applied, i.e. less slippage.

I've been running the Trans-Go shift kit for about 3 months and am happy with the improved crispness in the shifting and ability to use 1st gear.

DITA, shimming the accumulators instead of replacing the springs is a gamble......good luck with that.

Last edited:
Now before I go any further with what I say I know im gambling with my trans but so be it I have a spare so if it blows who cares, now from the info i've been gathering I decided to try something out. What I did was take off the kickdown cable or thats what I call it but what it does is control line presure depending on throttle postion so took some vice grips and fully extened it then clamped down the cable in the wide open postition. Basicly im fooling it into think its floored so it will give me full line presure at all throttle postions it does shift firmer and quicker. So far its acting fine nothing weird it just shifts firmer it goes into all gears including OD and down shifts as stock but when you floor it it feels stock because it would have the cable pulled fully anyway. I drove it a hour home from work no problem I will continue to drive it and see what happens just thought id share my experiance. The next trans will have shimmed accumulators and the cable mod it should shift alittle harder but at all throttle positions. and don't bother wasting your breath about how im a idiot and I screwed my trans its just a experament to see what happens before I swap my other aw4 in.

Re: Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

I sure would like to see the pictures.

Back