• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should I have an electric fan???

GodSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
1996 Cherokee Sport 4dr auto 4L

I have a clutch fan that covers 1/2 the radiator...should there also be an electric fan?

I purchased the XJ partially assembled and there was no electric fan..

Thanks for the help!

Peace.........................BartG

I'm not 100% sure about the newer HO XJs, but I have a 87 4.0l without AC that didn't come with an electric aux-fan.

If your Jeep has AC, it is missing the fan... there should be a relay and a connector plug for it somewhere nearby. The factory hookup will power up the fan whenever the AC is turned on, or when the coolant temp sensor sees 210*(ish?)

If yours has no AC :dunno: an OEM XJ fan should slip right in: Add switched 12v through a relay to activate it when you need it, and be cool.

Last edited:
That....

and if you are going to add one get the newer style fan with more blades, its a lot more efficient. My 95 has it but its one of the first years, i think 94 or 95 was the first year.

What are the specs on the new style? Is the footprint/mounting the same? The fan my '90 is about shot and I didn't know there were two styles.

I have AC...and No fan......

SO...WHERE THE HECK IS MY FAN!!!... ;-)

so should I buy a replacement from napa or go to the boneyard? am I missing some shroud?

as it sits my XJ does not have any shround on the back of the radiator....all I have is a clutch fan(which is being replaced tomorrow)..

Thanks for the help!

Peace......................BartG

If it were me I would go to the junkyard and look for a mid 90s+ XJ with those parts intack. Everything should bolt in as far as I know.

This is what it should look like under your hood (Not my XJ)

XJenginecompartment.jpg

Back