• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interest in Sleeping/Storage Platform kit?

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
This is just a feeler (and I can't post in the product development section) on how many people would be interested in a sleeping platform/storage kit for the back of the XJ. I design custom built-ins for homes and have a 5'x10' CNC router to play with. We have lots of material choices(mainly wood products) and construction styles.

My first version is essentially cut in half (32" sections) to fit in a normal-large box for shipping, has 3 40" pull outs with 500lb capacity locking glides, is cammed together (think heavy duty Ikea) and has storage areas towards the front of the Jeep. Easy to assemble and disassemble. Cams should last quite a while and can just replace them if they get worn out.

Our facilities production has slowed tremendously, but we are trying to keep the doors open, so this is the time to get this project going.

Let me know what you would want to see in a platform kit and what you think a reasonable price range would be. I'm making one for my XJ first as a prototype and will post pictures of that when completed.

I'm interested in seeing pictures of the prototype. My biggest concern is weight. Lighter is mo' better, IMO.

hinges to put on a plywood piece to fit in the rear seat back mounts will be useful as the plywood would be coplanar with the trunk floor. this will create a large flat area for sleeping. couple this with two door cherokee or commanche front seats that tilt forward and the you have decent length for medium tall people to lay flat and parallel to the jeep length.
Anyway that is my next project after setting up my rear springs

aIs1yXA.png

Spitballing here -

The initial design came out a bit over budget. I've shortened the drawers to 30" deep and changed the material from plycore to melamine. Plycore material is 2x the cost of the TLF product we commonly use (melamine), but plycore is lighter and much stronger. Not sure how strong it needs to be though. Haven't messed around with weight reduction modifications yet, and the 4 base "boxes" have full top and bottom panels currently. The bottom panel definitely doesn't need to cover the entire bottom, as long as it ties the verticals together at a couple points per box it should be good.

Right drawer would be the larger quick access storage pull out (cooking acces... etc) with possibly a sink sectioned in. Left side top pull-out could be a single counter-top or could make it to hold a grill/cook-top permanently. Left bottom drawer would be smaller quick access storage. Also thinking about a swing out counter top extension that would sit on top/under the top while stored, and when you pull the drawer out, you unfold it to double your counter-top space.

Still working on it. Let me know your ideas. The software I'm using is limiting so I can only model certain things - the rest gets done in optimization.

Maybe a narrower version (2.5" per side or so) for jeeps with internal cages?

Maybe a narrower version (2.5" per side or so) for jeeps with internal cages?

This version fits in-between the wheel wells, so if the cage lands in the far corners it should be fine-ish. A custom width one wouldn't take long to program though

Back