• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door Cherokee 01 with 25,000 miles... mild build for daughters first Jeep

Dayum, you find the coolest stuff. That '87 looks mint. And it is red. Must have had your name all over it.

Nice to see an update. This thread crossed my mind the other day and I was wondering what had happened.

Got the gas tank skid, receiver hitch & rear D44 installed with ARB 3" leaf springs.

Rubicon express shackles have good lean.

Thinking it's still going to be high in rear, even after bumper and subwoofer box are installed. If so will go back to stock shackles. Then resort to removing leaf (already removed overload) or getting custom springs made.

The DPG U bolt plate with bumpstop pucks is great idea keep tires outa fenders.

Yes, I kept drum brakes, I have done rear disc conversions before and e-brake has always been a future problem and never hold like a drum.

Front bumper cut and buckets made for frenching in 6" Rigid light bar on each side of license plate.

Yep, ordered the Metra kit for the double din Alpine I bought her for Christmas 2 years ago :laugh3:

Been searching for WJ steering wheel swap so could have audio controls, found couple threads, on actual wheel and clock spring... but nothing on audio controls.:wow:

Yes, I kept drum brakes, I have done rear disc conversions before and e-brake has always been a future problem and never hold like a drum.

I am grateful to see I am not entirely alone in that perspective.

A manual transmission really drives the point home.

Front all stripped and one of unit bearing was leaking so replaced with Timken.

Been searching for control arm length with 3.5" lift and I find that uppers 15.25" and lowers at 16" is good starting point.

I've been lax on updating this build. :dunno:

Paint polished to near perfection. Nothing looks better than polished black paint.
Since picture have added OEM tow hook brackets & chrome hooks.

Still lots to do, cruise control, double DIN Alpine with accessories controller, seat heaters, remove interior for amplifiers & speaker box, etc..

First time outside in years:

camera_roll.jpg

Pulling wiring for front Rigid 6" light bars, Bussman power distribution center, firewall bulkhead pass thru fittings & air line

la_jeep.jpg

ARB air compressor behind bumper with intake raised. Also installing OEM factory skid plate.

la.jpg

Installing Bussman relay and fuse panel and air hose coupler on bracket in this location.

bussman.jpg

Man, I love it! Such a beautiful XJ. You did a 3.5” lift right? Mind sharing your tire size and wheel backspacing? Sorry, if I glazed over it in your previous posts. I have a 3.5” OME coming for my black 4 door. I can’t decide weather to keep these 17” JK MOABS and get larger tires for them, or drop down to 16” wheels.

Man, I love it! Such a beautiful XJ. You did a 3.5” lift right? Mind sharing your tire size and wheel backspacing? Sorry, if I glazed over it in your previous posts. I have a 3.5” OME coming for my black 4 door. I can’t decide weather to keep these 17” JK MOABS and get larger tires for them, or drop down to 16” wheels.

Thank you, your Cherokee looks clean !

Tires are BFG 245/75/R16
Got the Quadratec Moab's 8", don't remember BS... But much better than the Icon's.

With ARB rear spring overload removed, the Jeep was still sitting nose down with 3.5" Metal Cloak coils. So replaced them with 4.5" and it's almost perfectly level, 1/4" more on front would be level.

Flexes out real good with 2" bump stop and tru-trac in D44 keeps forward progress.
No trimming & no rubbing even with OEM splash guards.

Next up is interior work, going to start with install of NOS cruise kit.
Unhooking battery overnight before I begin.

Ohhh. Nice shiny actuator. LOL.
Never occurred to me that you could buy a Cruise Control "kit".
Came with everything in the picture?
Do you have a part number?
It think you can still buy the actuator, clockspring, air bag, and the short vacuum line.
I could find one switch but not the other. And could not find a bracket either.
What did that cost?

That's cool.
Is that clockspring zip tied?
I always figured new ones were so the 2 halves to rotate on themselves.
And become not centered.

Man, I don't know what to be more jealous of - your ability to find rare/unusual NOS parts and accessories, your Jeeps, or that garage.

Oh, heck - there's no wrong answer to THAT quandry...

The clockspring has a plastic tab that gets broken removed when installed.

Thanks Rob, I've worked hard for 20+ years to accumulate & maintain the Jeep collection. All I need is a full time mechanic as I'm getting old and slow.

Daughter been driving XJ little bit this summer.

5A4A7319-8202-4E6D-9B0E-696C08F486B6.jpeg

The cruise didn't work, so after much searching on NAXJA I found a thread that showed part # for switches. Seems like 99-01 use AD suffix switches and 97-98 use AC switches. Installed the AD switches and cruise works great.

Since lake season over, getting back to finishing interior and wiring.

I got used A pillar trim so I could see exactly where infamous trim clips were located. Used plastic crow bar and then regular screwdriver to pop the pins out. No breakage :)

Sound & heat liner under roof should help with ambient heat.

She's applied Dynomat in doors and entire inside of Jeep.
This XJ is so clean that preparing metal for sound deadner was super easy wipe with rubbing alchol.
764B84E3-F3FA-4ED5-8485-6B5D85808014.jpeg

C3EBD795-8D7D-43D3-A4E9-00C02124C606.jpeg

After making spacers for front of Alpine x-A90V amp, it fit perfectly under passenger seat.
FEA2371F-96BA-4C95-B5D0-8590FF76F72D.jpeg

Next up is cutting the rear panel for the Subthump speaker box,
Seat heaters, console USB etc...

Well this Jeep build is finally finished :)
I may do LED interior courtesy light upgrade for a Christmas present.

9DA6DF02-A7EA-422D-B020-68093872F383.jpeg

Really like the fitment of the double din, but mostly the functionality.
Having all the accessory switches controlled by receiver is awesome.

74790ED3-5A34-4E74-A710-3CA34CF1BFBA.jpeg

Cutting the 2 door panel was nerve racking! Took me weeks to be in right frame of mind for patience & courage to cut. Lots of hand filing to make perfect. Also removed face of subthump and centered the woofer.

D993CFD1-C82D-4FD7-A705-DA8DDA7A8571.jpeg

Orvis ZJ spare tire carrier, lots of storage.
37BBC5E2-3BFE-4111-A991-3DA2D9E487D7.jpeg

Rear view mirror with homelink, compass/temp & courtesy lights. Used OEM temp sensor.

CF2C3CC0-35F9-40BF-A517-AD15718E0C66.jpeg

And she just had to have 8 rock lights... that change colors on app with phone. They are bright, pointed inwards not to bother other motorists.

A54B4AD5-95B2-4054-98FC-80998C1781A2.jpeg

0E8CEAFA-563E-43BF-BE05-4BA8D6F0804D.jpeg

Rigid's 6" light bars in front bumper are super bright !

Back