• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31's or 33's???? I need help!

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
Well, its that time again......... to get some new rubber on the ground! I have an 89 Limited with a 3" lift that is actually 3 inches, and I was wondering if I would run into any issues with a 33x12.50 rubbing on the leaves if I used stock rims for the time being. I don't mind trimming however much to fit them, but I want the 33's!!!!!! I plan on going higher in lift in a little while. Any help or even pictures would be huge help!
thanks in advance!
and btw I did search for hours on here lookin for an answer before asking :dunno:

i think you will have clearance issues in the back, some people have claimed to have done it. with my stock wheels and a 10.50 there was not even room for me to get my fingers between the wheel and the leaf spring. pick yourself up some cheap steel wheels, with 4"-5" of backspacing

The stock backspaced rims will put the 33x12.5 sidewall into the leafs.

(yes, I have mounted 33x12.5's on the stock 7" 5.25 backspaced rims and tried, and failed, to make them work).

To mount 33s with only 3" of lift you'll probably need about 3.75" backspacing, much careful trimming and possibly extended bumpstops. But before going any further, do yourself a favor and get the right gears if you don't have them already

MistWolf said:
To mount 33s with only 3" of lift you'll probably need about 3.75" backspacing, much careful trimming and possibly extended bumpstops. But before going any further, do yourself a favor and get the right gears if you don't have them already
I'll second that. Although it may not seem like a big jump, going from 31s to 33s is a big one. 31's with stock gears is OK to some degree. However, 33s on stock is very, very slugish. This is just guessing but most people run 4.10s with 31's and 4.56-4.88s with 33s.

As for the tires, I would find some cheap steel wheels, like said before and use them for the 33's. There is no need for the ultra bling wheels on the trail.

thanks for all the tips, I think I'll stick to 31's for the time being then. I just wanted to fill the wheelwell, and leave room for improvement in the future. The 33 didnt seem that much bigger than the 31, so that's what threw my thinking. When you say sluggish, how bad can it be? I am not the guy that goes haulin around town, heavy on the right foot, so would it be that big of a deal to me? thanks again for all of the help! you guys rock!

i ride 31's on a 3" lift with stock gears. the 31's really are a goot fit for this set-up. like Starbord M said, the gears are right on the edge of being okay. if the tires were ANY bigger, i think i'd be really unhappy. the main prob being not the on road acceleration, but the offroad crawlin. my low range ain't so low anymore, and my clutch is mighty unhappy about it. when i go to 33's i'm definately swappin the gears out at the same time. probly goin to 4.56's.

haha, i was thinkin the exact same way you are when when i put my lift on. i reluctantly went with the 31's though. then after i went wheelin once, i knew the 33's would'v been too much. the 31's are a great size for what you'v got. you'll be happy with'em, especially when wheelin.

watch your stoppin distance too, you "might" notice a change.

Ramsey said:
i think you will have clearance issues in the back, some people have claimed to have done it. with my stock wheels and a 10.50 there was not even room for me to get my fingers between the wheel and the leaf spring. pick yourself up some cheap steel wheels, with 4"-5" of backspacing

Agree. I had a 3" lift with stock control arms and rubbed by 31x10.50x15 at's pretty good when I cranked the steering wheel. Get some new cheap steelie black/white spoke or chrome modular 1's for around $50 or under and you will be alot happier and it will give your rig a bit more stability.
Troy

I'm takin in all the tips, and shoppin around for some steelies, so if anyone knows of any that can be had for not too much....... I'd be glad to hear about it! thanks again

check Discoutn Tire CO. They sell a set of black painted steel wheels from Unique for like $42 a piece in a 15x7 at approximately 4" backspacing.

soulslngr said:
When you say sluggish, how bad can it be? I am not the guy that goes haulin around town, heavy on the right foot, so would it be that big of a deal to me?
I have 32's on the stock gears, and lets just say that I'm not going to be laying down patches of rubber. I can live with it, and I have, but around town you sometimes wish you had more power. Going up hill at ~35 you just seem to bog down. And I have the gas pushed to the floor. Also, when merging the Jeep just won't go. Takes forever to get it going. Your gas mileage will also suffer as well. I get anywhere from 8-10 mpg around town and 12-15 on the freeway.
Your crawl is also affected, and low just ain't that low any more.

soulslngr said:
you guys rock!
I know I do :jester:

probably should go with a 15x8 in case you ever want to go to a 12.50

Do yourself a favor and get the 33's right now. If you get 31', you'll wish you had got the 33's. 33's will most likely be all you ever need, but 35's look even better, I have 35" mtrs and love those suckers. ;)
Troy

Starboard M said:
I'll second that. Although it may not seem like a big jump, going from 31s to 33s is a big one. 31's with stock gears is OK to some degree. However, 33s on stock is very, very slugish. This is just guessing but most people run 4.10s with 31's and 4.56-4.88s with 33s.

I just changed over to 4.10's from the stock 3.55's (31" tires on 15x7 wheels) - it's GREAT to have the acceleration back again! Didn't really miss it these last 2 years with the 3.55's, but now that I've got the 4.10's I can really feel a difference. Haven't yet had it off-road, but can't wait to have the crawlability back again.....when I find myself lighting up the mt's at each stoplight, I have to think that I'm going to be pleased once off-road.

Can't get over the way that the tires turn over even with a rear locker - lots of torque in these little motors!

Back