• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Rebuild

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok, so I really need some help, some of you saw my previous post, dist. broke while driving....long story short, push camshaft out of alignment, luckily no engine damage, but have to take the entire block out. My mechanic is a good friend of mine, so labor is not an issue, I am planing a full rebuild......what do you gusy recommend to make sure to look out for.......i already have the following on my list:

Fan Clutch (since the engine is out)
oil and water pump
Possibly new camshaft
Port and Polish the head
new valves, springs
bore out the throttle body
Replace all engine seals (including main seal)
Go through tranny and transfer case.....

what else???

OK, I've been building engines for 40 years. How did the distributor push the cam shaft out of alignment. Did the cam gear get eaten up? The can can only go sideways a little bit before hitting the timing chain cover or the back of the block. Did it take out the timing chain and cover?

Not trying to be an ass about this, but sounds like someone is giving you a line?

old_man said:
OK, I've been building engines for 40 years. How did the distributor push the cam shaft out of alignment. Did the cam gear get eaten up? The can can only go sideways a little bit before hitting the timing chain cover or the back of the block. Did it take out the timing chain and cover?

Not trying to be an ass about this, but sounds like someone is giving you a line?

Ihave not, but , when the dist was replaced......it was put in 180 degrees off, and we continued to try to start it thinkning we were dead on....not 100% sure that the cam is pushed off......might not be, either way, I had planned on doing the rebuild in January, it has jsut been moved up a week. We did a compression test and most cylinders were between 105-115..time for some work i think!!

That isn't terribly horrible compression but I wouldn't hurt to do the overhaul. The classic problem with putting in a distributor is getting it in 180 out. After trying to start it too many times, you get the spark plugs totally drenched in gas and they simply wont fire. So even if you rotate the distributor to the correct position, it still won't fire until the plugs are either replace or pulled and rinsed and dried. Good luck on your rebuild.

Back