• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slick Rock/Deer Valley/Strawberry AND Rubicon pics 07/19-20

hiimmred

NAXJA Forum User
No takers on joining me, so my son and I did a marathon 4 trails in 2 days.

Slick Rock 6:30AM Sat
sr3.jpg

Deer Valley 1PM Sat
Articulation.jpg

Strawberry 7PM Sat
cap0000.jpg

Rubicon 7:30 AM Sun
cap0007.jpg

Rubicon midday Sun
Articulation1.jpg

Wentworth 4pm Sun
wentworth-1.jpg

More photos:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll74/hiimmred/http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/...all&special_track=album_paginate_top_view_all

I was amazed how far I got with few problems, an experienced spotter would have made some spots easier. Made it all the way to Spider Lake before turning around to head home, all on 32" tires and open diffs. Some minor body damage occurred but no mechanical problems at all. A very rewarding adventure indeed!

Last edited:
I think you missed Barret lake, or is that closed off till dry still? I am Kidding!!!! You did more trails in one weekend then some people do all summer long.

All that and no winch, you got some big balls or maybe just a little crazy? Whatever it is, that is very cool, thanks for sharing the photos.

You comming out with us to Swamp Lake next month?

NoCoastFocus said:
Nice work. That is alot of driving. Is this your daily driver? After a few days of wheeling I usually don't wanna even look at my rig.

Yes most days, I also ride my Honda Interceptor to and from work weather permitting.

Letterman said:
I think you missed Barret lake, or is that closed off till dry still? I am Kidding!!!! You did more trails in one weekend then some people do all summer long.

All that and no winch, you got some big balls or maybe just a little crazy? Whatever it is, that is very cool, thanks for sharing the photos.

You comming out with us to Swamp Lake next month?

I am accused of having hefty huevos, but I think I lack common sense or I have a desire to be stranded in the mountains far away from the maddening crowds of city life!!! I would love to join the group at Swamp Lake, I didn't post because of the limitations of my rig, I don't want to hold up the group. I have a couple bud's who are anxious to go out with me so that may be a good trip to take them on.

Mike1331 said:
Impressive
Did you run all those trails on 33/10.5 or 33/12.5" wide tires
Lockers?
Even more impressive perhaps!!! 32x11.5 and open front and rear. I just crawled along and whenever I lost traction I stopped spinning the tires (to avoid digging myself into a deeper hole) and manuevered around a bit until they gripped and just kept going. I will say this though, as soon as I can scrape the money together one axle will get locked. I hadn't planned on doing the Rubicon when I left home, but being so close after exiting Strawberry Saturday night, I figured I'd go see how far I could go on the trail with my current configuration, it was an educational experience for sure. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

XJensen said:
Looks like a great time Ed. How did your son like it? He get to drive?

He is on 32x11.5, open/open, and plenty of skills. Great job Ed! :smoker:
Hey Josh, he loved it in spite of getting quesy (he had to take some Dramamine), deferred driving to me, next time for sure he said.

hiimmred said:
Even more impressive perhaps!!! 32x11.5 and open front and rear. I just crawled along and whenever I lost traction I stopped spinning the tires (to avoid digging myself into a deeper hole) and manuevered around a bit until they gripped and just kept going. I will say this though, as soon as I can scrape the money together one axle will get locked. I hadn't planned on doing the Rubicon when I left home, but being so close after exiting Strawberry Saturday night, I figured I'd go see how far I could go on the trail with my current configuration, it was an educational experience for sure. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

WOW!! 32’s and open diffs…you do have some cajones of steel.
The con is definitely educational to say the least. I did it for the first time a couple weeks ago for the 4th of July. I am not a rock krawler but that place made me into one real quick.
I made it through to buck island and back to loon (no breakage) with this hunk a junk below that I got as is for $400

dsc01390xu4.jpg

Shot with DSC-T1 at 2008-07-08
dsc01384br2.jpg

Did you break anything on any of the 4 trails?

Mike1331 said:
WOW!! 32’s and open diffs…you do have some cajones of steel.
The con is definitely educational to say the least. I did it for the first time a couple weeks ago for the 4th of July. I am not a rock krawler but that place made me into one real quick.
I made it through to buck island and back to loon (no breakage) with this hunk a junk below that I got as is for $400

dsc01390xu4.jpg

dsc01384br2.jpg

Did you break anything on any of the 4 trails?

Fortunately no breakage, just some custom bodywork courtesy of the 'con. I took it real slow and easy to avoid any since I was out there on my own. I love me some rock crawling, I'd go every weekend until the trails closed if gas wasn't so expensive! My wife is extremely cool to allow me to go as often as I like, it's all about the cash!

yeah its always nice to have a women that is understanding of our urge to wheel. Ruined my last relationship. Its almost become my screening device for women lately. If they can handle high speeds in the dirt then i'll keep em around for a while.

Jes said:
Hello fellow San Brunoan. :wave:
Hello :wave1: . I'm always looking for your rig around town, I live up in Rollingwood now, been in San Bruno for 30 years. You may be able to advise me on fabing some bumpers and body armor, the Rubicon showed me where it's needed!
:peace:

Up on the hill, huh?

I'm down on San Anselmo Ave. South. I don't really drive the black Jeep on the road anymore, it just lives in the garage when not on the trail.

Bumpers and body armor? Anytime, got plenty of experience building that type of stuff.

Hey Ed,
Been really busy lately and damn work proxy filters wouldn't allow me to see pics.
After your PM reminded me I checked them out at home and looks like you had a blast.
Did you also take the trail from Blue Lakes to Red Lakes, nothing in difficulty but great views (see Avatar).
Sounds like a D.E.D. (dirt every day) type Sierra Nev. tour, I like.
I want to get out to the "Con" and see how far I can get, on 30"s.
Definately Ballsy
If I knew I'd have done Strawberry w/you had to work @2pm
Also was prepping for RMS "Black Rain", went well now my oil pan is the cleanest, shiniest piece on the heep!

Back