• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No-slip install questions for 8.25, general pumpkin sealing, gear lube, etc

Rusty from Cleveland

NAXJA Forum User
Well the No-slip has been coming to me by UPS ground now since the 19th from Rocky-Road in Utah on it's journey to TN, however the blizzard that Colorado had has delayed things a WHOLE LOT in addition to the holiday rush and holiday off time too. Nonetheless, as soon as it arrives I want to get it in the XJ and was wondering what the consensus is on sealing up the rear diff. I have some new good high temp gasket maker on hand, but was wondering if I should opt for a pre-made gasket for the diff cover, just seal it with the gasket maker, or both. Now if I can just get this thing delivered. I also have some Mobil 1 75w-90 gear lube that I was planning on using, but was wondering if I should go back to conventional or something else thicker to quieten the No-slip down even more or will that even be needed. Any hints or kinks on the install? Looks relatively straightforward according to the install manuals that I have downloaded off the net and articles that I have read. I can't wait to try it out.....Rusty

It's a pretty easy install.

About sealing the dif, I use great stuff gasket maker, it comes in a cheez whiz type can, its super heavy duty stuff. I used 75-90 in mine with no problems, you really won't notice it back there until you are off pavement.

RTV, the blue (or hell, any color for that matter) to seal up the diff. Clean off the cover and the diff housing really well. Put the RTV on the cover, let it sit for a while, then put the bolts on finger tight. Go back in the morning and tighten them all up and fill it with gear oil and you're good to go :)

couple of things. heed the words of Frank Z. its really easy to screw up and not install it right. Thats why many places like Randy's doesn't sell them anymore. They got tired of dealing with warranty's and pissed off customers that didn't get the install right.
key points, the active spacers line up 180 degrees apart.
do a pre-assembly on the bench of the unit and mark the two sides with there own distinct marks using a sharpie. this makes it much easier when doing the install to not screw it up. mark each side with a mark that will line up the center gear with the correct spot on the side gear. and mark the right side from the left side.
the side gears are the same but the center piece is different right to left.
and on the gasket issue.
just use that red RTV, or whatever stuff you got. make sure the surface is nice and clean with carb cleaner. apply a small 1/8"-3/16" bead to the cover and fit it into place. don't let the RTV skin up, get it on wet so it sticks. let it sit for 15-30 minutes then fill with fluid and drive safe.
don't need to wait overnight. just ive it a little time to cure.

I sat in front of the TV one night playing around with the No-Slip and reading the instructions. Just getting familiar with it before jumping into the install. I used a black marker like Ryan said.

When putting the crosspin in, don't just push it in straight and definitely don't use a hammer. The instructions tell you to gently twist the crosspin while pushing it in. This is to get the crosspin past the springs without messing them up.

When doing the go/no-go test with the check block, if it doesn't fit, take the whole thing apart and do it again. I think this is where some people mess up their units. They think that it LOOKS good. But just take the time and redo it.

The FSM calls for 85/140 in the 8.25. Some argue 75/90 is fine, it may well be if you don't tow, off-road or drive above 55mph on the highway. PLUS the 85/140 keeps the locker to a decent sound level. lol
hth -B

Rusty from Cleveland said:
Well the No-slip has been coming to me by UPS ground now since the 19th from Rocky-Road in Utah on it's journey to TN, however the blizzard that Colorado had has delayed things a WHOLE LOT in addition to the holiday rush and holiday off time too.
Your locker isnt coming from Utah its being "drop-shipped" from Richmond Gear.Ive had nothing but grief over the years with RRO.Last month I ordered a Lockrite from them,after waiting 3 weeks,alot of phone calls,and alot of BS,I tried to cancel my order but RRO said no.RRO said it was on back order,So I actually called and talked to Richmond themselves,they said "we got them/no back-oder",after another call back to RRO my locker was here in 4days!

Follow the advice above and your install will go smoothly. If it's your first locker, be prepared for it to make one hell of a racket for the first day or two - clunking, banging, etc. It's just a combination of the locker being brand new (not broken in) and you being overly sensitive to it. I had about a day and a half of wondering whether I'd made a mistake going to an automatic locker in my DD. After that little bit of break-in however, it became as smooth as glass and remained so.
As far as the lube and sealing go, I love my lubelockers but the RTV works fine too. I run synthetics in everything on my current DD/tow rig, but on the XJ I change the diff fluid more frequently because of the chance of water contamination and so use 85-140 dino. Seriously, after the initial break-in, you won't hear that No-Slip no matter what gear lube you run.

Well the No-Slip finally arrived and I installed it just a couple of days ago. Everything except for removing the center pin retaining bolt went smoothly. It was a major PITA to get it out! I think it was an 8mm or 5/16th...at any rate it eventually rounded off and I had to go buy a part from Autozone to remove the bolt by force and with something that would cut into the head of the bolt and I had to use the impact wrench on top of that!!! I guess they used loc-tite on it at the factory. Once that was out, theigs went very smoothly. I used the RTV Gasket maker and nothing leaked....so far atleast. BTW, I used Mobil-1 75W-90 like I had in it before. The gear oil inside looked great and the gears looked in perfect shape too. Wow, no joke about it being noisy the first hundred miles or more though. It is beginning to quieten down now and drive better but still has what I describe as a thunk sound in the corners occasionally, which I assume is it disengaging. Dang that thing sure make the difference off road though. There was a small hillclimb near my house that I could never make it over before, but now it crawls over without spinning a tire. I love it! Kinda wanting my XJ to be a "sleeper" and then when I do get a chance to do some wheeling with some other very mild rigs, I hope it will show off a bit, hehe. Thanks for all of the help guys!!!!!!!!!! Now I am just hoping for some mountain snow in East TN. You guys out in CO need to send some of that snow our way, but in a fraction of the depth. I remember having 20-22 inches of snow here in 1993 and it was awful! :yelclap: party1:

I think you'll find it will continue to get smoother and more quiet. The only time I ever heard mine once it got well broken in was at very slow speed while turning tightly - like in a parking lot at the mall!
When the snow does come - remember to take it easy until you get used to the new handling characteristics. Just pull her into 4 Hi and you won't have to worry until the snow gets crazy deep.

What Rd said:
I think you'll find it will continue to get smoother and more quiet. The only time I ever heard mine once it got well broken in was at very slow speed while turning tightly - like in a parking lot at the mall!

It doesn't even make that noise now. It is real quite. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
It doesn't even make that noise now. It is real quite. JIM.
Jim bought my 8.25 with No-Slip when I installed my D44. Hi Jim! :wave1:

Hey, how's it going?

ILLXJ said:
Hey, how's it going?
I got my pulley alignment issue worked out, finally. So now I need to modify something else!
:confused1

Back