• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Thule J hook Kayak Racks

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Have two sets for sale. They are less than a year old. Were on my Jeep but have a truck now also and am just going to use the truck to move the kayaks around.

These worked great for my 5' boat or my 15' so I'm sure they will work for you.

$125

aab05862.jpg

Just using the factory roof rack. It had some little clips that swung over them. I didn't even have to use any straps to the front or back just the hooks and then the straps that connect to them.

But with the Jeep lifted now it would be a huge PITA to get them up there so I just throw them in the back of the truck. Offer is still open to use them anytime or borrow for a week or two.

I have pool noodles on the Jeep and fancy Yakima pads on the civic, just use regular ratchet straps and they are perfectly secure.

It just seems like the factory bars would be too flimsy.

Nick, I plan on doing what you did. I'd get some pads to go on the bars and lay the kayaks upside down, side by side. Do ya think two average width kayaks would fit ok?

i put 2 tandem yaks side by side on my rig all the time with no racks. they are a fuzz wide but they havent been left at home yet. I have the same jracks on the taco too, they are nice fo sho!

It just seems like the factory bars would be too flimsy.

Nick, I plan on doing what you did. I'd get some pads to go on the bars and lay the kayaks upside down, side by side. Do ya think two average width kayaks would fit ok?

You should have no problem at all. I started off going to the bumpers with the straps, I found it a whole lot more secure to hook to the load bars and go over top of the boat. Pool noodles are simple and cheap, basically the same material as the Thule/Yakima pads without the nylon cover to make it look cool :)

Back