• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Penrose

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
Took my heep to Penrose and ran Liberty today. My son and a couple other rigs went with us. Great day with no one on the trail ahead of us and only a coupe of rigs behind us on the way out.

Learned that driving a V8 on the trail is daunting at best, and at time terrifying. There's just so much power that it's easy to get in over your head......quickly.

A couple days ago I installed a new trackbar bushing in my rig and one in Daniels. We used Energy Suspension poly bushings. After one trail ride they are both ruined. My axle normally cleared the oil pan, but not today. After exiting the trail we found the axle moved enough that I now have a punctured oil pan.

Don't ever install Energy Suspension trackbar bushings!!!!!!

So my heep rode home on a trailer.

I drove Daniels rig back north on hwy 115 and wandered all over the place. Hands are a bit sore from death grip on the steering wheel.

I'll drill and tap the pan for a temporary plug while I explore some replacement options.

Pics will be posted soon, photobucket is moving rather slowly.

Last edited:
003.jpg

004.jpg

117.jpg

135.jpg

152.jpg

165.jpg

168.jpg

171.jpg

176.jpg

209.jpg

Sux about your rig Frank....... one thing after another.

However......... I want that trailer! And........ a place to keep it...... :looney:

It's all good. It's a minor problem and I'll get it fixed up ASAP.

Had a blast!!!

As much as I hate to see bad things (automotive issues at least) happen to good people, at least you know your stuff Frank, and can handle business. :thumbup: Glad you had a good time.

The frustrating thing about it is that it was a real freak occurance. I've flexed out the suspension numerous times with the new motor in it and no clearance issues what so ever. Hard to believe that something as simple as a track bar bushing can cause this kind of problem. I thought it was just bad luck untill we looked at Daniels TB and it was moving all over the place too.

That's crappy (note to self, don't buy energy suspension track bar bushings). I learned early on in my XJ endeavors, the type of grief that a track bar can cause. I had an 88 that I swear, every malfunction I ever had, pointed to the track bar.

Sorry to hear about the clearance issue frank. But I'm sure you'll have her back up and running in no time! Looked like a great day! I had to work all friggin day. I'm sure its gonna take some getting used to on the v8. Glad to hear daniel is back up and running after his dentist visit. I think liberty is my most favorite trail so far.

Good pics Frank, looks like you guys had some fun. Jimhattj has a sweet rig, that thing always doesn well..
daniel dual lockers now?

Bummer Frank! How far from the trailer were ya when it started leakin? was the leak slow enough so you could get it back to the trailer with some oil still in the engine?

Oh at least you weren't in the middle of the trail with no Oil. Good luck (kindof)

Frank, look into a H3 Alpha/ Colorado 5.3 oil pan. Thats what we used on the LS2 with the same front axle and it cleared great! About a half an inch at the closest point on the axle, track bar was closer though. We found a kit that included everything for pretty cheap but I can't remember from where...

Anyway, here is one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330428597677&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=a1debbd61190a09c18356aa5ffb807db&rvr_id=147897378997&ua=WVF%3F&itemid=330428597677

Back