• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taconic Hereford Multiple Use Area

NorthernOutlaw

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone used Taconic Hereford Multiple Use Area in Pleasent Valley, NY for trails? I can't find any new information on it, only old posts on other sites, most recent was 2014. Seems like a pretty decently place to go but I don't want to make the drive out there if it's been outlawed at this point.

Wow. I'll have to look into that. The wife and I have a house in Alexandria Bay NY and I've been poking around looking for places to go up there for a while. Let me see what I can find out!

Looks like there are some public roads, and then some additional 4x4 only roads, but they are reserved for folks with disabilities and require a permit.

Doesn't look like there is any legal and approved wheeling in the area. It's mostly for mountain biking, hiking, horses, hunting, etc.

From the website:

Taconic-Hereford has two roads that serve as Motorized Access Permit for People With Disabilities (MAPPWD) trails. Permit holders can use a permitted vehicle to travel beyond the reach of public roads, to areas where others must hike or bike. The permit provides access for those who seek solitude, connection to nature, undisturbed wildlife habitat, and inclusion with fellow sportspeople. The 0.88-mile Brockway Road and the 1.24-mile TSP Road are both open for use with 4-wheel drive trucks and SUVs by people with disabilities to allow for wildlife viewing. This use is allowed seasonally during hunting season only, from 10/1 through 12/31. These roads are gated so users must contact the regional office in advance to get the lock combination or pick up a key for the gates.

Rule of thumb is if it's in ny you can't take a motorized vehicle unless it's a snowmobile.

Theres a couple good trails around if you know where to look. They're short and sweet though. In winter most of them turn to snowmobile ONLY and you'll a whoopin for messing up the trails.

Seems like this one is just a hunting access road, for hunting season only. Its probably something you can do in a civic.

Rule of thumb is if it's in ny you can't take a motorized vehicle unless it's a snowmobile.

Yes, I've seen as much in my searches. It's a crying shame I'm certain there are places to go up there but it's obvious the local folks (smartly), keep things very hush hush.
Rich

Back