• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread: project Butterface

REWSTER

BACON!
NAXJA Member
Many of you know my jeep. It's been around for a while and for the last 10 years its been sitting on the same 3" AAL rusty's lift kit. Over the years I've been stacking parts in my garage and have acquired a pretty good pile. As I put them on I'll try and give an estimated time that I have had them for your amusement.

Currently the jeep is sitting on the 3" lift sagged down to probably around stock. 33" good year MTRs. 4.10s locked rear. Bumpers sliders and rust holes for weight reduction.

How it sat.

Before any work can get done...

Had to clean that mess.

On to the work.

Lookout for more.

So 10ish years ago when I put on the AAL. I just split the pack with the main still attached,slid the leaf in and jacked it all up and back together. Never touched the leaf bolts. Needless to say nothing was coming out easy. But they are out.

This one was pretty interesting, not sure if it busted apart when I was pulling it out or if it was cracked for a while.

So what are you going to do for leaf springs?

Sorry to keep ya on the hook...

I was gonna try and remember when I picked up all this stuff, kinda a running joke about me just buying parts for the garage. So I'm remembering around 2016 buying these leads and a year or so before that getting the shackle relocation brackets.

Set up for the rear is 6" rustys leafs. HD off road shackle relocation brackets. With a set of 2" shackles. Hoping not to get a poop ton of lift out of it. Used leafs and running the shackle at a decent angle should help.

Could always throw a big ass tire carrier on the back with Jerry cans and a trasharoo full of wood. That'll level it out. OR I have some 6" JK front springs I'll be taking off the jeep that would complement your huge lift

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I have 6" springs for the front also. And just acquired some long arms at moab! :D

U-bolts... something I thought I could just pick up at any local parts store. Apparently not, should have ordered them a while ago.

U-bolts... something I thought I could just pick up at any local parts store. Apparently not, should have ordered them a while ago.

I visit a local business, Delaware Valley spring.. they bend them up for ya to your specifications as ya wait. It's a big truck type business but I imagine theres similar in most areas.

Nice to see ya back at the Jeep..

While waiting for some new u bolt to show up I figured I'd move a little bit forward on the jeep and address something a little bit twisted. My trans crossmember.

In that same pic you can see how long the bullshit crossmember drop I made has lasted.

The replacement is a bit more heavy duty.

Clayton long arm kit. Picked up out in moab.

Not gonna get moving on the arms till I get it flipped around in the garage.

I really don't think your gonna like that clayton long arm. I will take one for the team and take care of it for you.

That really is a great kit. Should perform well for you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I might not lol. Honestly the whole time I was buying it I was thinking it was the clayton 3 link. Got a hell of a deal so I can't complain.

Got ole butters back on it's own weight. But the way I'm running the shackle right now its resting on the relocation brackets I've seen where people cut the excess to get passed this . What have you guys running this kit done? I want the least amount of lift that's why I'm running it in the furthest position.

Well, looks to me like you could use some no lift relocation brackets! I have a set that I didn't install sitting in a box of you're interested, depending if you're headed my way anytime soon

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Why does it give me a good feeling cutting stuff off. making the vehicle completely useless unless I finish the job.

Notice the missing parts.

I might not lol. Honestly the whole time I was buying it I was thinking it was the clayton 3 link. Got a hell of a deal so I can't complain.
You dont have to use both upper links.

Multi part update...

Got the springs shocks and a set of IRO stainless steel break lines in. Fought with 3 out of 4 bleeder screws, broke a couple hard lines but it's all back together And stops.

Here is some pics.

On it's own weight.

Clean on shit, shit on clean.

Photo shoot...

Driveable and although I'd like to get my front locker in I will probably wait till after winterfest. Use the next week to make sure I don't forget pillows and blankets again :D

Back