• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

2.7 eccoboost will do everything I need a 1/2 to do with a normal jeep and trailer.

mac 'anything else is over kill' gyvr

Everybody thinks they need a 2500 to tow, you only need a 3/4 ton truck to tow if you are towing big loads all the time. A good 1/2 ton (FORD) will do the job just fine.

I have towed with the following
03 f250 w 7.3
03 2500 hd with 8.1
2000ish 2500 suburban with 454
13 f150 with 5.0

I wouldn't hesitate to pull with the ecoboost, I was skeptical at first but many of my friends have used them with no issue.

Modern-day 1/2t trucks will do what you need. If you tow regularly or always at max capacity, then the idea of a bigger truck should be warranted.

Not saying this because I have one, but go with the eco boost and call it a day. I just suggest that you search for the truck that has all the options you want from the start. I hunted around for quite a while for mine cuz I knew what options I wanted with my eco boost to get the max towing capacity. Sadly these newer 1/2 ton trucks are doing what most of the 2010 and older 3/4-1 ton trucks were rated to pull.

Towing from Western WA- middle of ID and back I got 12.5 mpg on 295/70/18.

The next year I used my dad's 2005 Cummins on 35s and got 10-11 plus had to pay .40 a gallon more for diesel.

I have 104k on my 5.0 and love it. I frequently drive a few states away and in summer time of I keep it 70 and under I've gotten 20-21 mpg. In town I get about 15

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

af4bfed2b4054c24d0747e0f9b12e02f.jpg

I've been looking at the mirror, and the piles of empty beer containers laying around. Im slowly evolving into the MWC classic body. Bald fat and old.
Not me, still a full head of hair and 30 pounds lighter than 2016.

need-a-bow said:
In other news, Im gonna go up this weekend to test drive a couple of Ecodiesel Rams. I know you Ecoboost guys towed to Moab fine, and watched a few reviews of trucks pulling up the Eisenhower.

You don't need a diesel, Dodges are junk.
I have a 2012 F-350 diesel and I only drive it to haul stuff with for work. I mostly drive my Tacoma.
Diesels are expensive to maintain and not worth having unless you tow heavy loads a lot.

I got my hair gene from my grandpa on my dads side, I will be pretty much bald in ten years. My dad on the hand, just retired and still has a full head of hair. As for my body, I don’t drink alcohol but it might seem that way. Years of a sit down job, wife who works nights and a kid made it so I weigh the most I ever have. I go to the gym as much as I can and can do a mile on the treadmill faster then I could in high school (about 17 minutes). Trying to lose weight now.

If you want to swallow big loads get a Chevy, if you want to haul big loads get a Ford.

and if you like it in the ass get a dodge.

Last edited:
The Fords sure do look nice. Im gonna try to drive at least one of each F150 2.7, Chevy 1500 with a 5.3, and a Ram 1500 with the 3.0 Ecodiesel. Trying to keep it under $ 25k used.

Ive already put around 1000 miles on my bosses '17 Sierra 1500, and while it seems great, it is also fully loaded and I've never towed with it. Its been really the only full size pickup Ive driven a lot for any extended period of time the past couple of years, so I need to see what else is out there.

My tacoma towed fine. Of course I wasn't saying that 3 months ago to and from moab...

I want to tow with an RV that's what I'm holding out for :D

8c8ce3442510320680f3eaccba197f34.jpg

2018 F150 2.7 liter eccoboost 10 speed transmission.
11.5 combined mpg over 3500 miles round trip to moab and back (all before the first oil change). Plenty of power, towed the mountains just fine. Its an XLT with the 302a equipment package, heated cloth, power rear window, remote start, rear locker not decked out on options, but enough to be nice.
We dd it and get 17-20 mpg around town.

mac ‘fits our current needs perfectly’ gyvr

I was about to ask what trans everyone had. Unfortunately most of the trucks in my price range are 6 speed. I think I'd like go with an extended cab to have bed I can sleep in, but being able to move more people is nice. I do see a few 5.0s in my price range, but I think I'm gonna post pone test driving til it's above 20 degrees again.

I know there's a lot of Chevy hate here, but do any of you or have any of you guys towed with a 14+ Chevy 1500?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with the 6 speed trans. That's what mine has in it. Once I figured out the sweet spot for it towing up the mountains in Colorado it was a beast. Was able to run 55 all the way up the mountain. I have driven a couple f150's with the 5.0 and they are nice but I still prefer my ecoboost over them. Look for the crew cab, 6.5ft bed, max tow option, with the ecoboost and you won't have to worry about anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mine is a stx 14' 5.0 ext cab 6sp (I posted the pic earlier). With the canopy on, I have slept in the back numerous times when it's raining and I don't want to set up the tent, or when it's nice out but lots of mosquitoes. I chose the stx over the xlt because I liked the dash without the display screen. Had a buddy install a katzskin leather kit w/buttwarmers and with a little over 100k on them, the driver seat looks nearly brand new still. I paid 28k for mine new after rebates and $3500 trade in credit. Perhaps look for a stx 9f all the fancy bells and whistles aren't needed and your happy with the basic pwr window/locks/cruise etc

I was about to ask what trans everyone had. Unfortunately most of the trucks in my price range are 6 speed. I think I'd like go with an extended cab to have bed I can sleep in, but being able to move more people is nice. I do see a few 5.0s in my price range, but I think I'm gonna post pone test driving til it's above 20 degrees again.

I know there's a lot of Chevy hate here, but do any of you or have any of you guys towed with a 14+ Chevy 1500?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Major LS fan here ! Mines not a 14 but I’ve pulled plenty with my 5.3 Yukon to know I don’t need any more engine for what I’ve done .

Do the Ford's come stock with integrated brake controllers? I know the GM's do on a lot of them as well as the Ram 1500s I saw.

Just depends. They are all wired for it, but you might have to buy it and have the computer told that it's there. Mine did not come with one, but I had it installed at the dealer because it would be covered under the factory warranty. Not usually my style, but this is the first brand new vehicle I have ever bought.

They still have the pigtail too so that you can plug in and wire an after market one if that's your style also.

mac 'lots of options' gyvr

Back