• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More snowy adventures!

Team Willys

www.rocksolidfab.com
So a buddy of mine and myself decided to go see if we could find some snow to play in today. He took his 2000 XJ; bone stock with street tires and a funky pizza stained seat, and I took the Ranger.

The further we drove, the more promising it looked:

100_0763.jpg

100_0760.jpg

100_0755.jpg

100_0769.jpg

100_0766.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0764.jpg

Then I found a pull off with about 8-10" of powder...
100_0780.jpg

I made it through the first time with no problems. The second pass was a little further left, and it was deeper!

I had to pull myself out with the M8000...
100_0786.jpg

Once I got out of that, we continued on until we found a little forest road.
100_0795.jpg

Looked pretty promising as we started down.
100_0801.jpg

100_0803.jpg

The further we went, the deeper it got.
100_0844.jpg

Then I decided to have some fun and play in the powder off to the side of the ruts (sory its sideways!):

100_0842.jpg

After that fun, we continued down and found a lonely Xj and a Toyota Taco stuck in the snow trying to get back out:
100_0823.jpg

We helped them get out, which took about 2 hours... while doing that, 2 guys were walking down dragging tools and sleds. They had another XJ stuck about 2 more miles down the trail. And while we didn't make it down to see, it was apparently stuck pretty bad.

Then it was time for the trip out.
100_0821.jpg

100_0819.jpg

100_0818.jpg

100_0816.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0797.jpg

100_0777.jpg

And that's the most of it. As we went down, the snow thinned out, there was a lot less on the way down than there was on the way up.

Oh and by the way, apparently the 5 liter likes to do donuts in the snow covered over look areas! It was soooo much fun today!

I want to go play in the snow! I wonder if that was a record amount. Was the snow tood deep for you guys to get to the other xj?

Nice shots! I'm heading to the mountains next week, and long range forecast looks like it might snow some while i'm up there.

Lol, no dead bears. Is that the same "road" you guys went down? I typed Tatham Gap into the GPS and it started taking us down that trail.

DANG!...

when is the next trip? ...i don't have plans for new years day :) anyone???

Sorry. I cant go new years for 2 reasons: 1st off, I doubt there will be any snow left. Secondly I am going to the cove with the jeep on the 2nd and I cant spend that much gas money in one weekend.

Hmmm... I have no idea, it looks similar, but then again they all do. The bear was on a different road, not tatham gap.

Did you guys encounter any fallen trees? We couldnt go to far down Tatham gap trails because of them. Maybe a few miles at most. None of us brought a chain saw, and we didnt feel like breaking out the winches. it was friggin cold... we didnt have those pretty blue skies!

~James

Well, apparently there were some fallen trees on down the road. The 2 guys that passed us with tools and the sleds were on dowon the road another mile or so, and they had encountered a tree. They tried to go around it (or turn around or something) and got stuck off to the side in the powder. If was the same road, apparently they got a lot more snow. Does that sign look familiar? It was Forest Rd 81...

That looks like fun Tyler. I wish we would get some snow!!

Back