• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Locker Help-

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this weekend I broke an 8.25 axle driver side shaft. It broke right at the taper well out side of the locker. It is the cleanest brake Ive ever seen, so there were no fragments. So on the trail I threw in the long side shaft on the drivers side. When I hit the gas only the passenger side was locked. The Detroit was making a noise I have never heard a Detroit make, like a ratcheting, something’s broken sound.
I drove it 200 miles home, and somewhere during the trip home it started to lock again, but now its not disengaging. The driver side tire drags around every corner. The diff fluid was really thin when I cracked the cover, so it must be getting really hot. I didn’t see any metal filings or chunks in the fluid (it was dark though so ill look again in the am).

So tomorrow Im taking the locker apart to see if I can spot anything obvious... What should I look for, what are the common problems? Ive never opened up a Detroit before and have a general knowledge of how it actually works internally at best. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

you blew up the guts of the locker. detroits like to gernade when you break a shaft. my guess is the little "teeth" things sheared off.

it may look fine on the outside, but the guts all blew up. next time, buy an arb or spool

DSC02323.JPG

Have fun!

Yup, it's the shock load that does in the Detriots, even if the shaft breaks outside the case.

I'm crossing my fingers that I don't break an 8.8 shaft, I'd be sidelined for quite a while if my Detroit blew up.

Yep, probably the side gear on the drivers side. You can usually get another side gear from Detroit. Be carefull when pulling the locker apart, there are springs and small parts in there.

Yes, sometimes a Detroit will break when an axle shaft breaks, but it's mostly on the smaller rear ends, and they don't break every time....it's hit and miss. I've seen plenty of axles break on D44's and up and haven't seen them break the Detroit, but I certainly haven't seen them all.

BTW, where were you when you broke?

Goatman said:
Yep, probably the side gear on the drivers side. You can usually get another side gear from Detroit. Be carefull when pulling the locker apart, there are springs and small parts in there.

Yes, sometimes a Detroit will break when an axle shaft breaks, but it's mostly on the smaller rear ends, and they don't break every time....it's hit and miss. I've seen plenty of axles break on D44's and up and haven't seen them break the Detroit, but I certainly haven't seen them all.

BTW, where were you when you broke?
Yep, blew up both my D-44's loaded with detroits. Not at the same time mind you. I was able to make one good one with the parts from the two. Called Eaton and got new side gears/lockers for the one and got it back together. Then sold them both. Spooled in the rear with an ARB up front now.
Don't put off fixing it. You will just keep breaking shafts if you stripped off a few side teeth.

Gate Keeper in Lower Duran.
1027071330.jpg

Thanks for all the help. I figured it granaded inside when the shaft broke. Im missing teeth on both my gear sets, and now that the detroits gone I have nothing to loose... Time to upgrade to rear 9" and front 9" w/ 60 outters.
I may be posting again for places to buy the replacement parts if I cant find them myself, because this is my DD and I need her back on the road soon.

BakersfieldXJ said:
I may be posting again for places to buy the replacement parts if I cant find them myself, because this is my DD and I need her back on the road soon.

They're not that easy to find. I posted this last week about my experiences:

Someone recommended I talk to Jack @ CTM, and he went out of his way to check with some of his personal contacts to see if anyone had them on a shelf somewhere. Called me back the next day with bad news, seemed that no one had them and I was looking at 6+ weeks until the next production run. However Jack himself had a few assorted D44 Detroit parts laying around.

I also contacted a guy in PA who runs a small 4x4 shop who had helped me out in the past. I gave him the part numbers I was looking for, he got back to me two days later. He ended up finding me a side gear in Michigan, and the clutch/HOR and spring retainer in Tennessee. I had them all 3 days later, all brand new parts.

Side gear was $140, clutch was $150, retainer was $12. Mine was a Dana 60, but I wouldn't expect Dana 44 parts to be much less, if at all.

It may be worth your time to talk to the guy who found my parts for me though...his name is Barry @ Truck Stuff and More, 814-357-8142.

vetteboy said:
They're not that easy to find. I posted this last week about my experiences:

Someone recommended I talk to Jack @ CTM, and he went out of his way to check with some of his personal contacts to see if anyone had them on a shelf somewhere. Called me back the next day with bad news, seemed that no one had them and I was looking at 6+ weeks until the next production run. However Jack himself had a few assorted D44 Detroit parts laying around.

I also contacted a guy in PA who runs a small 4x4 shop who had helped me out in the past. I gave him the part numbers I was looking for, he got back to me two days later. He ended up finding me a side gear in Michigan, and the clutch/HOR and spring retainer in Tennessee. I had them all 3 days later, all brand new parts.

Side gear was $140, clutch was $150, retainer was $12. Mine was a Dana 60, but I wouldn't expect Dana 44 parts to be much less, if at all.

It may be worth your time to talk to the guy who found my parts for me though...his name is Barry @ Truck Stuff and More, 814-357-8142.

Just Curious, but why didn't you just Spool it?

For what it's worth, I went straight to Eaton for the parts. the side gear (One) was 120.00.

Ok well I found the problem.
The drivers side plate with the teeth (the clutch plate or what ever its called) is missing 2 of the large teeth and the rest are all chewed up, and all of the smaller teeth on the inside are gone.
Should be a simple fix assuming I can find the correct parts.

I also broke the bolt that holds the shim in place, so I get to ez out that and reset the rear end. Yah for me!!

FWIW I have a Detroit for sale for that rear end (if its a 27 spline). $300. If you find out the parts and your time will cost more than that, shoot me a PM.

Back