• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for info on WJ Backing plates / disk swap on 8.25

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
I know the 5 on 5 rotor wont work... but the backing plates (with Caliper) should be a direct bolt on. My question is will it be possible to find a rotor 5 on 4.5 that will be the correct size.

Anyone done this? Info or links to info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

:eyes:

ALSO* whaddya think its worth if I get a used set?

Re-drill the WJ rotors for 5 on 4.5"?

I'm wondering why this has not been done before.
Searching did not turn up anything.

Will the axleshafts interchange between the WJ and XJ? Could you redrill the XJ front hubs to 5X5 or possibly use the WJ hub/rotor and source new wheels. 5X5 pattern would be stronger than 5X4.5. Although just redrilling the rotor would be a ton simpler. Just a thought. I am new to the Jeep stuff so if it is nowhere near compatible I'm sorry.

I have a D44a out of an 2001 WJ and going to take some measurements when it warms up to see if the backing plates/calipers will work on the C8.25

I do know from looking at pics of both that the WJ 44a backing plates will have to have the mounting holes redrilled.

Several people have started down this road, no one has come up with a working product.

I don't know if its brake offset or what, but people seem to find a stumbling block.

Crown Vic brakes are almost bolt on with a dana 44. Run the tera spacers (instead of rubicon retainer plates) and make your brake lines. The backing plates will bolt on, the rotor will fit (you may have to grind the center hole just a hair).

I'm still up in the air on what to do... but I got a guy with a 2000 WJ he's parting out. OTHER than the front knuckle assy. What are good things to snag? ???????

heh heh I know theres a few good pieces.

Thats about it. The knuckles and front brakes.

With all this stipulation, it's getting hard to make heads from tail on this. can someone point the direction to a build link to rear discs on a 8.25 using jeep parts that fit without drama?

Phil:canada:

why not do it the easy way and go to pick n pull and pick up a set of a zj I just pulled a set off a 97 for 55 bux got every thing except rotors and pads as I will buy new ones the only thing that you have to change is the backing plate bolts to the zj ones because the xj drum plates are 1/8 and the zj disk plates are 1/4

I'm still up in the air on what to do... but I got a guy with a 2000 WJ he's parting out. OTHER than the front knuckle assy. What are good things to snag? ???????

heh heh I know theres a few good pieces.

I use WJ lower front control arms as they give me a smoother ride due to the large bush as well as more turning circle.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

For the WJ brakes, you need to find another rotor around 305 mm in diameter, 75.5 mm high, 72 mm centre hole and is solid with a thickness around 10 mm. It is a tall order.
I looked through 188 pages of a disc rotor file I have and the closest is the rear of a Ford Escape rear which is 302 mm in diameter, 56.1 mm high, 72 mm centre hole and 11 mm thick. The only real difference there is the rotor height or offset. But that is easily adjusted as you just fit a spacer behind the backing plate like I had to do with my Falcon conversion.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBArearBrakes1.htm

BArearBrakes11.jpg

You would make the spacer 19.4 mm thick, or might get away with 3/4", which is 19.05 mm. That is if the WJ has the same distance from the housing mounting flange the backing plate bolts to, to the front of the axle flange the back of the rotor sits on. This of course still means machining but I prefer when I make a brake conversion to have what needs to be replaced free of machining if possible. Once the spacer is made, no need to ever have to machine again rather than every time if you change the rotor stud pattern.

There is also the Lexus GS at 307 mm, 63 mm high, 62 mm centre hole and 12 mm thick but you would have to machine the centre hole and maybe grind the pads a fraction. Still needs a spacer but thinner at 1/2"

Back