• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight issues! Any suggestions?

lilsLb88

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

Apologies if this is posted in the incorrect place as this is my first post. I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic..

Firstly here is my setup so you all have some background. I have Osram led headlights off of Amazon which have been great. The headlights are connected to an aftermarket relay harness. I ran this setup for around a year with no issues. Since the issue below started I have replaced the headlight switch (August 2020) and the turn signal/brights multi-switch (Februaryish 2020)

Here's my issue. Sometimes when I flick on my brights when I'm driving when I flick back on to regular beam position, the brights come off and the regular beams do not come back on so I'm left in pitch black. The parking lights do stay on but obviously they are not meant to provide driving light. If I toggle back to brights they work, however I can't just drive around with my brights on everywhere. To get the headlights to come back on regular beam, sometimes it helps to spam the brights toggle on/off a bunch of times and then sometimes the regular beams will come back. Im not sure what else I can do to fix this issue other than the replace the switches again but they didn't fix the issue last time.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The fog lights are tied to the low beam since it's against the law for them to be on with high beams; perhaps you have an issue there.

Check and clean the wire connections, and refresh the grounds. Consider that the aftermarket relays are probably worth 0.22 each and need to be replaced.

Relays would be my guess.

Odds are you can swap the brights relay and the regular relay and see if the problem swaps over to the brights.

If the relay swap doesn't clarify the issue then I would start examining all the connections.

2001 do not come with driving lights , they can be added in with all the factory parts , now about your headlights if switching the relay doesn't fix there is a module that controls the headlights that could be the problem .

When I installed a headlight relay harness several years ago in my ‘99 XJ Limited I ran into a very similar issue. After searching this site I hit upon the solution, which turned out to be removing the factory fog light relay from the PDC. Are you sure your Jeep didn’t have factory fog lights when it rolled off the assembly line? It may be worth double checking.

Back