• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine rebuild kit?

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Another round of mods for me. Its tax return time. I was going to stroke the block out of the '99 that I am parting out, but the wifey is allowing me only $3,000 from the return. I could do the stroker, but there are other mods I was wanting/needing to do. So I decided to save some cash and just rebuild the '99 block and throw that in there. I have been searching for engine rebuild kits and finding a bunch of year blocks that they are offered in. Whats up with that? some say '91-95, others say '96-'98, and some places dont offer kits past '95. These kit dont have any sensors, just pistons, rings, berrings, gaskets, oil pump, timing, and seals. All of that should interchange. Why all the different year ranges? some offer cams for the earlier year kits and say no cam available for the later years. Did they change the cams in the later 4.0 because of the emissions changes? My brain is fried:gee:

I toyed with the idea of rebuilding myself as well, as I have in the past. But, I think the best route for a stock rebuild is a Jasper enigne. IMHO, they have the best reputation and price for a long block. I priced out the machine work and parts and it would have cost me about the same price as the Jasper. I would say either go the Jasper route or go big with the stroker. Old Man likes his stroker and he's the guru in my opinion.

I am sure there are individuals who dont visit the modified forum. Just looking for knowledge. This is a question that could be answered by 'gurus' from both arenas.

Patience grasshopper.. no need to bump after only 2 hours... being on the second page isnt the end of the world

ZacSquatch said:
Patience grasshopper.. no need to bump after only 2 hours... being on the second page isnt the end of the world

Sorry, just impatient. Bad personality trait.

If your doing the labor yourself you should come in way less than 3K IMO. I was cut some deals and knew some people and came in at about 1500 parts and machine work. I did all of the assembly myself. Even without the deals I got it wouldn't have been much more than 2K if that. The stroker portion of things only cost me $300 extra.

what I failed to mention before was that I figured it would cost me around $1500 to build the stroker. I sourced the parts out at about $900 that would leave me $600 for machining and anything extra that popped up. The problem was that I need other mods more than I need the stroker and the remaining money would not cover those.

The stroker was a nice upgrade, but I would not tear apart a perfectly healthy 4.0 to build a stroker. I blew my shit up, so I stroked it.

BlueCuda said:
The stroker was a nice upgrade, but I would not tear apart a perfectly healthy 4.0 to build a stroker. I blew my shit up, so I stroked it.

Well, perfectly good is not the best description for my good ol' 4.0L. I get 10mpg or less around town and it smokes from the tail pipe. Its the rings or the head gasket, maybe both. 220000+ miles, cant ask for more. It runs fine, but the blow by is killing my MPG and power. The power suck is really noticable on hill climbs when the engine is under strain. I have 3.55 gears and 32s which adds to that problem. I am wanting to put most of the money I set aside for the stroker in to recovery and driveline gearing/strength. I think those mods should come before adding a substantial amount power.

rcmf5525 said:
Well, perfectly good is not the best description for my good ol' 4.0L. I get 10mpg or less around town and it smokes from the tail pipe. Its the rings or the head gasket, maybe both. 220000+ miles, cant ask for more. It runs fine, but the blow by is killing my MPG and power. The power suck is really noticable on hill climbs when the engine is under strain. I have 3.55 gears and 32s which adds to that problem. I am wanting to put most of the money I set aside for the stroker in to recovery and driveline gearing/strength. I think those mods should come before adding a substantial amount power.

spend the money on 4.56 gearing. your engine will thank you.

rcmf5525 said:

You said 99? I think that year got the bad head. Check the casting numbers on the head. I think the bad one was 0331.

0331 head was 2000-2001.....he should have 0640 IIRC...

Back