• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveway paint job

The Merg

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of painting my XJ OD green, but I've got a few prep problems.
1 - What's the best way to get the factory roof rack off? I can't get torx sockets in there, and I'm worried I'll have to drill out the screws (they're a lot rusty)
2 - Is there a good product for getting off adhesives used for rubber strips, like on the roof and rocker panels, or am I stuck wire wheeling/sanding it off?
3 - The chrome pieces (mirrors, door handles) will be black - any suggestions for sanding these?
4 - damn, there's a lot of crap I'll have to mask off - not a question, just crap that's gonna be a pain.

Thanks

torxbit.jpg

I used that.....It fits in a torx screwdriver. You just slide it in, if you know what type of screwdriver I'm talking about.

Or yeah, long torx sockets would work....like these.

84220.jpg

You can get the above picture for cheap. Hell I think Montgomery Wards would give out sets with those for free back in the day when they were still in business!

The Merg said:
1 - What's the best way to get the factory roof rack off? I can't get torx sockets in there, and I'm worried I'll have to drill out the screws (they're a lot rusty)
2 - Is there a good product for getting off adhesives used for rubber strips, like on the roof and rocker panels, or am I stuck wire wheeling/sanding it off?
3 - The chrome pieces (mirrors, door handles) will be black - any suggestions for sanding these?
4 - damn, there's a lot of crap I'll have to mask off - not a question, just crap that's gonna be a pain.

Thanks

1. Torx bit. If they "spin" when you try to undo them you can probably just pull the whole rubber grommit out with the bit.

2. A rubber "erasor" wheel designed to remove stickers/adhesive (if you have access to one or a "citric" based cleaner/degreaser also work very well.

3. Sand, sand blast, the best you can and use a decent primer. I have heard of a product that works well but have no experience with them (try a body shop or auto paint shop for a name or recommendation). Personally I would just buy black ones from a junk yard.

Michael

My 95 didn't use rubber well nuts to hold the roofrack down. It had plastic inserts in the roof - they didn't spin and didn't appear to be easily removed.....which was good because I didn't have any problems removing the torx bits when I wanted to repaint the rails :)

There is a product called "Bullfrog" that you can use as a prep agent on chrome items to help with paint adhesion. I have a buddy that used it on his woody to cover all the chrome trim and it has worked great, not flaked off or anything like that and it has been on there over a year through some hard wheeling and lots of power washes.

I got a torx bit like the one in Blaine's picture, no problems.

2xtreme said:
2. A rubber "erasor" wheel designed to remove stickers/adhesive (if you have access to one or a "citric" based cleaner/degreaser also work very well.

I have Goo Gone, but it's very slow going - I don't think I've ever seen an 'erasor' wheel - I'm assuming I can find one at a True Value or similar generic hardware store?

2xtreme said:
3. Sand, sand blast, the best you can and use a decent primer. I have heard of a product that works well but have no experience with them (try a body shop or auto paint shop for a name or recommendation). Personally I would just buy black ones from a junk yard.

I just want to paint these - I don't want to mess with the power mirror assembly crap, but if these peel, I'll junkyard it.

Thanks for the help, guys.

there is a product we sell at my napa store called the "magic eraser" its a rubber wheel you can fit into any standard drill chuck, i think thats what he's talking about. its for removing factory pinstriping. go to a good parts store (like napa :angel: ) and tell them you want to remove pinstriping, if they dont know what you're talking about tell them to look in the ballkamp book, its in the section with the pinstripe and mouldings. if they still cant find it pm me and i'll get you a part number

good luck
-mike

GrimmJeeper said:
there is a product we sell at my napa store called the "magic eraser" its a rubber wheel you can fit into any standard drill chuck, i think thats what he's talking about. its for removing factory pinstriping. go to a good parts store (like napa :angel: ) and tell them you want to remove pinstriping, if they dont know what you're talking about tell them to look in the ballkamp book, its in the section with the pinstripe and mouldings. if they still cant find it pm me and i'll get you a part number

good luck
-mike

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow. Wish I'd known about that before I used a wire wheel in my Dremel for the pinstriping.

Blaine B. said:
My 95 didn't use rubber well nuts to hold the roofrack down. It had plastic inserts in the roof - they didn't spin and didn't appear to be easily removed.....which was good because I didn't have any problems removing the torx bits when I wanted to repaint the rails :)
I wonder about Jeep sometimes,my 95 has all steel inserts.

Mine's a '92, I had the steel inserts, too. Go figure.
Seems like Jeep just throws whatever's around into a lot of the random parts, like the bolt on the oil filter mount on the 4.0L.

The Merg said:
Mine's a '92, I had the steel inserts, too. Go figure.
Seems like Jeep just throws whatever's around into a lot of the random parts, like the bolt on the oil filter mount on the 4.0L.

that is precisely what jeep has been doing since the 40's. our xj's are the closest thing to standardized production line work they had done ever.

Not the same thing.

i painted my chrome grill and bezels with a product called kryon (sp) worked awsome didnt peel or flake off and i didnt sand nothing

Back