• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vehicle Requirements

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Per :NAXJA: Bylaws:

Section 3: Required Equipment for Event Participation
  1. :NAXJA: VERY HIGHLY recommends that all event participants have a CB Radio.
  2. :NAXJA: requires all listed items to be present, and available for use, for a vehicle to be permitted to participate in a event. Participants are expected to stow equipment and all other items within their vehicle in a safe manner, conscious of the effects of OHV use and possible shifting of items.
  3. :NAXJA: Safety Inspectors will use this list for safety inspections prior to any event. The Safety Inspector has final say in approval or rejection of any vehicle for event participation and may at anytime defer to a second event or club officer for additional ruling.
  4. :NAXJA: expects each event participant to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and for the roads and trails traveled for the event. :NAXJA: is not responsible for assuring an entrant's vehicle is legal for the roads and trails traveled in the event.
Equipment List
  1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
  2. First aid kit
  3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
  4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
  5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
    1. Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
    2. Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
    3. D-Rings
    4. Shackle/Clevis
  6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
  7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)
A CB is not listed but HIGHLY recommended.

Please be sure your vehicle complies with the above requirements. It will make for a more enjoyable experience for everyone. Tech inspections will take place to ensure that vehicles are properly prepared.__________________

Might want to add something about welded on tow hooks we had an issue at Winterfest Oh-Ten.

Yeah that was bad! Hopefully, that issue won't happen again. Still gonna try to make it to The Crawl but we'll see what happens in the next couple months.

I will be doing tech inspections so please make sure your xj is up to snuff. You have 3 months to get it ready. There will be no excuses. If the tow point on an xj is welded it will fail inspection. Tow points must be done properly it is a safety issue, nothing personal.

I will be doing tech inspections so please make sure your xj is up to snuff. You have 3 months to get it ready. There will be no excuses. If the tow point on an xj is welded it will fail inspection. Tow points must be done properly it is a safety issue, nothing personal.

Yeah, like I said it was a mess. 3 months should be plenty of time to get that stuff figured out.

yikes thats some scary stuff... hopefully just inspection issues rather than actual usage issues

It got missed in the initial inspection then the trail leader saw it after the guy broke. He was done anyways but a big fuss was made about it.

Make sure you clarify the difference between what you said, "welded tow points" and what you mean: welded tow hooks.

I'm pretty sure anyone with an aftermarket bumper has "welded tow points" since that's the preferred method of putting two pieces of metal together.

There are also some bumpers out there that have the d-rings welded to the front of the bumper, which is an acceptable method of recovery, as opposed to a bracket or shackle mount. That was used as an arguement in the previous issue, so some clarification there might be advantageous as well.

We all know welding a cast tow hook to a bumper is bad, but if we're not clear, you're going to have butt hurt people.

There have also been previous NAXJA events where individuals did not carry a spare tire (25th AE) because they had beadlocks and/or tires that were not susceptible to the types of failures you might see on a regular street tire in an offroad situation. I'm leaving my spare in the campground because I'm tired of making room for it in the back of the jeep. Something to consider.

Last edited:
Make sure you clarify the difference between what you said, "welded tow points" and what you mean: welded tow hooks.

I'm pretty sure anyone with an aftermarket bumper has "welded tow points" since that's the preferred method of putting two pieces of metal together.

There are also some bumpers out there that have the d-rings welded to the front of the bumper, which is an acceptable method of recovery, as opposed to a bracket or shackle mount. That was used as an arguement in the previous issue, so some clarification there might be advantageous as well.

We all know welding a cast tow hook to a bumper is bad, but if we're not clear, you're going to have butt hurt people.

There have also been previous NAXJA events where individuals did not carry a spare tire (25th AE) because they had beadlocks and/or tires that were not susceptible to the types of failures you might see on a regular street tire in an offroad situation. I'm leaving my spare in the campground because I'm tired of making room for it in the back of the jeep. Something to consider.

Good point. Tow hooks should be bolted on to proper attachment brackets and not welded directly to the unibody or bumpers.

The spare I will have will be at the campground too. I find that reasonable when you deal in big tires. We just need to make sure others understand this and we have people willing to retrieve them. That being said I do not have a problem retrieving a tire if the case arrives. Just hold on BC it will be a fast trip! :D

Tow hooks should be bolted on to proper attachment brackets and not welded directly to the unibody or bumpers.

Theoretical situation: Let's say I know a guy that bought a green jeep. This green jeep he bought has a tow hook on the front. Upon further inspection this hook is both bolted and welded. How does that fit in?

Something that may or may not look like this:
3906103835_990d814735.jpg

Theoretically......:roflmao:

Theoretical situation: Let's say I know a guy that bought a green jeep. This green jeep he bought has a tow hook on the front. Upon further inspection this hook is both bolted and welded. How does that fit in?

Something that may or may not look like this:
3906103835_990d814735.jpg

Cannot tell in that crappy picture, but it looks like a hook that is welded and bolted to the unibody. Not to a bracket or bumper, so it would fail.

Cannot tell in that crappy picture, but it looks like a hook that is welded and bolted to the unibody. Not to a bracket or bumper, so it would fail.

I'd be wary of any cast tow hook that was heated up and cooled rapidly during welding, regardless of where it was welded to.

I'm not a metallurgist, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'd be wary of any cast tow hook that was heated up and cooled rapidly during welding, regardless of where it was welded to.

I'm not a metallurgist, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Exactly any hook welded to anything will fail the inspection.

Most aftermarket hooks are cast, so it isn't a good idea to weld them on. However, there are some OE style hools that are not cast, but rather bent bar stock. This type of hook is fine to weld to, but it must be welded to something of structural strength. It doesn't matter if you have a tow hook off an M60 tank, if its welded/bolted to sheet metal, its not going to do any good. Im sure Glenn is more than capable of seeing what is safe and what isn't and making the call on that, but the general idea here is that welded tow hooks is a bad idea.

Most aftermarket hooks are cast, so it isn't a good idea to weld them on. However, there are some OE style hools that are not cast, but rather bent bar stock. This type of hook is fine to weld to, but it must be welded to something of structural strength. It doesn't matter if you have a tow hook off an M60 tank, if its welded/bolted to sheet metal, its not going to do any good. Im sure Glenn is more than capable of seeing what is safe and what isn't and making the call on that, but the general idea here is that welded tow hooks is a bad idea.

TY and yes! I also do not have a problem getting a second opinion.

This type of hook is fine to weld to, but it must be welded to something of structural strength. It doesn't matter if you have a tow hook off an M60 tank, if its welded/bolted to sheet metal, its not going to do any good.

While this is true you can never know if a welder that you have never met is any good or not......Just because a weld looks pretty doesn't always mean it is.

There are quality standards for bolts and it is easy to determine if the correct bolt is used.

I am by no means trying to dredge this issue back to the top but just trying to make sure all the bases are covered.

I wanted to bring this thread back up to the top.

You need to be sure your vehicle is properly prepared for this event. Ghost is heading up tech inspection so please be sure your rig is ready.

I know this stuff can be a pain, but being prepared on the trail makes for a safe and fun experience.

Thanks!
Ed

will you fail and not be able to ride if you dont have everything on this list??

i dont currently have a spare tire for my rig but im equipped with beadlocks so the tire wont be going anywhere if it does go flat by puncher or whatever....

There will be spares at camp. I don't see this as being a problem.

Back