• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brake line extensionsand emer. brake???

grand94jeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I'm new to NAXJA but have been a long time member of NAGCA. I recently picked up a 4.5" lifted 1990 XJ with 33's and have been finding "problems" to address. How do I replace/extend the factory emergency brake cables. Even sitting on the ground level the cables are pulled tight. Also I read after a quick search that I could use a factory brake line from a 96 Dakota. Is this correct? Thanks in advance. I'll get some pics up of my new "mistress" when I have more time.

i reused the corporate 8.25 axle ebrake lines when I installed the data 44. Had plenty of length.
As to the rear brake line, replace with a longer one. I use a 24 inch stainless line.

01XJ 8inch lift.

Yucca-Man said:
Late YJ passenger-side cables will fit - see the bottom of http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dana44.html for more info and hardware needed.

The Zion unit seems a bit pricey. I paid less than $30 for my YJ cable new from the dealer. On some models (all?) moving the box where the two side cables attach to the cable from the interior back a few inches is also an option.

Bent said:
The Zion unit seems a bit pricey. I paid less than $30 for my YJ cable new from the dealer. On some models (all?) moving the box where the two side cables attach to the cable from the interior back a few inches is also an option.
You're talking about the 99+ emergency brake junction I believe. For whatever reason, D-C decided to scrap the old method with two equal-length cables running up the tranny hump and went to the odd-length running to the driver's framerail.

I just cut the mount off(had to replace the rear line anyway) used the longer hard line, and welded the mount about 4 inches back. Worked great.

Back