• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-Grin needs a tow!!!

Good news!!! Thanks for the update.

Talked to Chris about twenty minutes ago. Apparently showing ones girly ankle whilest sticking a thumb out is of great interest to the manly men of the western slope.

He's got a tow all lined up.

LOL. good to know he is making it back

...... I'm sick to my stomach .....

That engine just became a freebie.

Chris: Gimme a call when things settle down - we can discuss that other engine that still needs pulled and get that to ya if you like.

Gawdammit, that sucks brutha.

Sorry to hear about the ongoing bad luck.

Talked to Chris about twenty minutes ago. Apparently showing ones girly ankle whilest sticking a thumb out is of great interest to the manly men of the western slope.

He's got a tow all lined up.

All you pretty city boys remeber this when you are running around all by your lonesome on the good side of the mountain!

I just got off the phone with Chris about 10 minutes ago. His XJ puked a rod thru the block on Wolf Creek Pass.

:wow:.................. that has to SUCK!! :wow:

Its dead allright, but I'm back... and my ankles are so damn sessy that they work on the east slope as well, for the record. Here's the reader's digest version:

So, having had an around-town test day, I decided to give the new-to-me powerplant some highway miles, just to see if it would develop a rear main leak or something of the sort. I'm enjoying a beautiful drive in the La Garita range, when here (Wolf Creek pass just before the ski area)
P4220060.jpg

BOOM, black cloud, oily spray, engine dies... I look under the hood to find a 3" hole in the block, driver's side at the #6 cylinder - threw a rod through the block (picture didn't come out, but I'll update when I pull it). No warning signs, no knock, no oil pressure issues -- my best guess is that #6 got oil starved when Mike had it inverted, just enough to eventually give up the ghost -- who knnows though...

So, it's 2:45pm, and I'm due in Pagosa Springs for a meeting at 5:30... AAA amazingly gets me a tow truck from Pagosa in less than an hour, and at 4pm, I'm at my hotel. Fate is smiling on me (I know, what an optimist to think so when I just threw a rod on the engine installed less than a week ago... I'm like that sometimes:confused1), in that the tow truck diver is a long time friend of my client's representative that I'm meeting in Pagosa, and upon finding that out, he lowers his estimate to get me towed back to CS today from $910 to $480... (ouch!) -- thanks, Frank for working the web on this end while I pimped myself on the other!

It gets better though, my client being a rancher has a flat bed, an F350, and a spare employee whom they offer to allow to drive me back to the springs today for FREE!! BUT..... by this morning it is supposedly snowing everywhere in Colorado at a very rapid pace (my wife informs me we already have 6" on the ground before I even get out of town -- what a fun tow this will be!) We start out at 9am, and the south side of Wolf Creek pass is not so good:

P4230066.jpg

P4230065.jpg

but lo and behold, once we get to the north side of the pass, we do not even see another drop of moisture, either on the road or in the air, until the northern part of Colorado Springs 6.5 hours later.:sunshine:

I'm home, I'm tired, and I'm apparently doing another engine swap next weekend. yeah. :cry: Thanks for the support fellas, I appreciate all your good wishes and sympathy!

Wow Heep II must have been pissed after Led took it through carnage last year. Right after that, John popped a ujoint on chinaman gultch, Mike rolled it and now Chris gets bitch slapped hundreds of miles from home.

Seriously though I'm glad you got a ride back home and everyone is safe. It's good to know there are still standout individuals out there that will assist you in your time of need. Hang in there, it looks like your luck is changing.

Back