• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BPI front install pics (MANY, DIAL UP BEWARE)

What do you think of my new toy?

• That thing SUCKS!

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Its Ok...I guess.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • That bumper is SWEET!

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Oh man, I need to change underwear.

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
So I knew I needed some front tow points, so I decided to go all out !! I got the non-winch bumper minus the 2 inch reciever.
Its been on the jeep for a few weeks now, just now got around to sticking up the pics. Would have taken more, but stopping every few mins to snap a shot is kinda a PITA after a while.

Here it is fresh out of the box
DSC00312.JPG

A cloesup of the shackle tabs. The welds are big and even, and

The tab itself is huge.
DSC00313.JPG

Right after some rattlecan primer
DSC00317.JPG

Inspecting where to chop the fender
DSC00318.JPG

Cut up with a jigsaw and hammered up (thanks gojeep)
DSC00319.JPG

At this point I was too tired with the painting and curring to give a damn about pics anymore so the only finished pics I have are out on the trail:
xj%20bypass

And afterwards...
luke%20jeep%20wash.jpg

I picked up some 3/4 shackles at a local co-op and threw them on. On the trip that the last 2 pics were taken, I went out with a buddy in a lifted 2wd XJ (he actually did pretty well) and a stock TJ with 30s (got stuck EVERYWHERE). The bumper and shackles got tons of use yanking them out of places.
I had a really, really bad stuck in a mud hole when I was backing up trying to avoid an ATV. A huge yj on 38s with a warn arrived and yanked me around for about an hour and a half and the bumper didnt budge at all. Needless to say, its a great Hi lift point too.
Some may not like the looks of it as there is a gap between your grill/fenders and the bumper of about 1/4 inch. Also, the way the bumper wraps around the sides may not appeal to some. I think it looks fine and gives PLENTY of tire clearance. I think it will look better with lots of fender trimming and 33s :)
To top it all off, Tim at BPI is probably the nicest guy in the biz to deal with. Their customer service is absolutely top notch and I had no problems whatsoever with my purchase or the product. I highly reccomend that you check them out if you're in the market for a new bumper. To top it all off, the prices ROCK !!!

This last pic is just for kicks, let me know what you guys think.
luke%20jeep%20wash%202.jpg
:D

Lucas, do you have a pic from the side showing ow it looks? I am curious about how far it sticks out from the front end and also the corner sections. If you have a chance post a pic. Thanks.

I admit, just from the side shot it looks like a fat "lip" that juts out, but it would probably look a whole lot better with trimmed fenders on a taller rig. Im riding at 4" with short 31s (pro comps run a little small). In the looks dept, it would be cool if it had a little less protrusion, but it makes for a great place to stand on and walk around, or work waaaaaay back in the engine bay. Plus, it gives you that much more radiator/grill protection when you hit something like a rock or a tree, ask me how I know!

Heres a side shot.
BPI%20side.JPG

Closer (those are not dents, and the bumper is not bent up, its just the way I cut the fenders )
BPI%20side%20closeup.JPG

Another front shot
BPI%20front%20shot.JPG

Mounting
BPI%20mounting.JPG

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I'd just like to second all that about Tim and BPI's customer service. They treated me execellently and I have nothing but praise for the quality of the product. And I've got some pretty good shots if anyone wants to know what it looks like on the 97+ body style.... I've been very pleased with the bumper - and I get compliments at every trail I hit!

http://community.webshots.com/user/drewlee77

Anyway, if you want some more shots, there should be some in there...dig around! I don't think I have any specifically of the bumper however. <shrug> Enjoy.

How do you pull stuff? Do you just attach hooks to your tabs?

Did you see the writeup on jeepin.com with the green 97+ XJ that had a matching powdercoated BPI winch version?
I was toying with the idea of painting mine grocery-getter gold, but black gloss in a can was only 3 dollars and the auto paint store wasn't open at the time. After the first ride with it, I had some silty mud dry on it that looked goldish and it looked nice.

Thanks for the extra shots! Does the D-ring tabs line up with those mounting plates that go against the side of the "frame rail"?

Im not entirely sure, but I think they do. Im pretty sure the direction of the pull is distributed evenly. Even if it wasn't the entire unit is so stiff that I think it wouldn't pose a problem. Then again, im not an engineer.
You can look at the straight ahead shot and estimate the locations of the frame rails.

Yes, the d-ring tabs line up perfectly to the frame rail mounts. Check out the very first picture on this thread...

The bumper fits really nice with cut fenders and TJ flares.....

Any body know if the bumper will fit over the C-Rok plate?

I don't think so.... The mounting plates are not adjustable. But, you might be able to put a spacer under the C-rok plate and mount it outside the bumper mount plate??????

Big Jeep 101 said:
Any body know if the bumper will fit over the C-Rok plate?
I have the BPI also (with 2" rec.) On mine I know the c-rok plate would not fit. IIRC, I had only about 1/8" play between the sides of the frame rail and the bumper mounts (maybe less). What you could do is fabricate (or cut the c-rok) a plate and have it welded to the BPI mounting brackets. I did the same thing but made mine like tow hook brackets:

bpi14.jpg

I wish I had made the drivers side one like the c-rok plate.

What do you use the 2 inch reciever for anyway?

Lucas said:
What do you use the 2 inch reciever for anyway?
Right now it holds my license plate :)
In the future when I can afford a winch, it'll be on a multi-mount that I can insert into the bumper as needed, or use from my rear bumper if I had to.

how much more was it.

I just need a couple more posts till I can get my custom avatar...

Gravedigger said:
Hey Lucas, how much did the BPI Fab cost ya?

I called them a week ago:

T100XJ-Non-winch bumper - $287, powdercoated- $322

I think the reciever is around $50 extra? not sure.

Shipping to Alabama is only $45 :)! The guy did tell me the winch model costs alot more to ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back