• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear run on April 6th

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Any takers? I am thinking about a nice moderate trail run. Not sure of the trails yet, but I figure it will be a grand opportunity for me to test out my GPS and the new book that I got on order from Frenchie :)

Kejtar

[quote:152dbc6b5d="Kejtar"]Any takers? I am thinking about a nice moderate trail run. Not sure of the trails yet, but I figure it will be a grand opportunity for me to test out my GPS and the new book that I got on order from Frenchie :)

Kejtar[/quote:152dbc6b5d]

If it will be moderate for me and my Jeep :D then I'll go.

Hey Remi !
I was finally able to register...... Apr. 6th. Theres a slim chance I
might be able to make that...slim though.

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Coool

well... ok now I am under pressure... I gotta find a cool moderate trail :)

Btw, all present will have to have at minimum front and rear tow points as well as a CB and a fire extinguisher.

Kejtar

Curt

Btw, Great seeing you here :) :) How do you like the new format?
I am still discovering all the neat little features..... the forum is supposed to send me an email each time someone posts, although I don't think that's 100% working yet LOL

Kejtar

Remi:
It notified me that you replied to my post. Ft. & Rr. tow points....if I go it looks like I'll have to finally break down & get that gas skid & receiver hitch.....
Whats John Bull rated at ? Theres also a trail that leaves the N.side of Baldwin (dry) Lake and goes North up over the hill & meets with a graded Rd. E. of the start of the John Bull. I've only been up there afew times. Is there gonna be any snow left?
You might check with Ed Stevens or post for someone whos spent time up there.
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Last edited:
John Bull

Is rated as one of the harder trails. There nice part about BB is that there are a looooot of trails of varied difficulty. I will start looking into it on Monday :)

In regards to tow points, we all like to feel like we'd never need them, but as life goes we need them most when we don't have them :eek: . When it comes to putching the hitch on though, it's easy. I don't think it took me even 20 minutes of actual work (although I had one bolt on the tank skid that had to soak for a while :D

Remi aka Kejtar

BIg Bear

Ketjar,

John Bull is moderately difficult. There is one rock garden that could give cars with no rocker panel protection some problems.

A good run is Gold Mountain - John Bull - Holcomb Creek. That would take you most of the day.

Gold Mountain is green to dark green. Holcomb Creek is dark green but has fun water crossings and a couple of fun rock sections that are difficult for the unlocked with 30 inch tires.

Ray

bad timing

Why use BB when during the summer that is the only place that you will want to run when it is still hot in the desert. You should still be using areas that are nice now but hot later

Temperature (true...true)

Hell it was push'n the high 80s today in the low desert today (Sun). Good point about wheel'n later on in warmer months up on the hill. I know of a moderate trip E.of Indio (about the only one left open) but thats ALONG way to come for some that are N.E. of L.A. or even L.A. for that matter. B.B. is kinda centralized.
Oh Well ! just think'n out loud....sorry.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Yup...

I would drive almost anywhere :) (waking up early for me is a M-F things so I don't care that much anymore) but some are not willing to do that for a one day thing. This puts us at BB which is as XtremeJ pointed out somewhat centralized........ But in summer... well, I ran through Mojave with no AC in my old 86 2.8l which ran a bit hot :) And lets just say that there is lot to be said for open windows :)

Kejtar

Big Bear

Holcomb Valley and John Bull are good. If you go over Gold Mtn from the Baldwin side you can do it in a bone stock rig. There was about 12"-16" of snow up there last week, but that wont last too long in this weather.

I may not be able to make it to the meet and greet in JV after all,so I'd like to meet some of you on this run. When and where would we be meeting?

Big Bear suggestions

I may not get two Jeep weekends in a row, and JV takes priority, so do not count me as confirmed for a 4/6/03 BB run (unless I can take a little person to ride shotgun).

I do suggest making it an introduction run with a variety of terrain. Make the run start time 9AM or 10AM (give people time to climb the mountain).

Make the run mildly challenging for the introduction, with proximity to some of the harder parts (to recruit future run participants).

The suggestion of starting with Gold Mountain from Hwy 18 is great. One challenging stair step ledge (that can be driven around) is the only tight spot for the unprotected, and great views of the valley.

Leaving GM at Holcomb Valley Road (3N16) I would head west to Burn Flats road (3N02). This will take you to the intermediate part of John Bull (3N10). Again, there are two sections with rocks and root challenges, but passible with 225's (and no rocker damage if spotted patiently). This run will deposit the group at the intersection of 3N10 and 3N32 for a deserved break (or lunch depending on start time).

The drivers wanting a challenge can play on the hard part of John Bull (1/4 mile west on 3N10) while on break. Up and down, to/from John Bull Flat, can be fun to drive (and watch) but keep the group together for the duration (do not split into two groups). I find getting-it in this little section of JB is quite satisifying, without the wear and wait of taking a group through the complete trail.

I would not pressure anyone unprepared to run this section of John Bull (better to return for a more advanced run this summer). I have had groups enjoy being spectators in this area for well over an hour, so remain flexible to allow people to enjoy. There is little need to make the run a forced expedition, with lots of good runs to return to in the future.

Take 3N32 back to 3N16, or if you know the way take the boulder squeeze trail to 3N07, and then head west on 3N16.

This return to 3N16 allows people who need to get off the mountain early an opportunity to get back to the main highway (via Polique Canyon Road).

Run 3N16 west to 3N08, to cut over to 3N14. This takes the group below a limestone mine and above upper Holcomb Creek (an area with pioneer history) to 3N14 (another opportunity for folks who have appointments to return to the highway via Fawnskin, can I stress to be flexible in the afternoon for people with schedules).

From 3N14 you can run 2N13 to the Butler Peak fire lookout (easy, if open, for a fantastic view) or begin Holcomb Creek (3N93, moderately hard -- you need rocker protection).

Both trails terminate at 3N16, both will consume close to two hours for a moderate group. It's better to not gamble a race with sunlight until the long summer days.

If needed, Holcomb Creek trail can be split at Canada Larga (2N07X), or continue on 3N93 to 3N16

This west end of 3N16 will allow a return to Hwy 330 through Green Valley and Running Springs.

You can also bypass 3N08 and run 3N16 west to begin White Mountain (2N17), in place of Holcomb Creek (a view from the top of a ridge rather than the bottom of a canyon), but again, it may be better combined with a summer run. I have it on good faith that an informal more difficult run will be scheduled with SoCalXJ folks in the summer.

All of these runs can be found on the USFS map or the Sidekick map.

The proximity of the SBNF should allow for a number of return trips and a variety of challenges (no need to over schedule the day). This is one of the good and bad points of the SBNF: the ease of making a day run into a tour of the challenges (Gold Mountain, John Bull, Holcomb Creek or Cleghorn, 2N17X, Deep Creek) or keeping the pace and expectation slow enough to enjoy the journey (watch more than just the trail).

With a little flexibility you will have a full day wheeling, with optional challenges and great scenery.

Great...now I have to get Tow Hooks Brackets. Maybe I'll just buy some cheap ones at Kragen and use sheet metal screws into my bumper. :)

Sounds good to me though. I trust you won't mind if I bring my father along, even though he'll be driving a SWB Ford Ranger 4x4? :anon:

Sequoia

Oh..one more thing...I'll be coming in from 2NO2 out of Pioneertown when I go. I'll do that on Saturday, camping there Saturday night. Anybody that wants to run that little trail with me is free to (it's easy, you can take it stock).

Sequoia

Kinda the long way....

Sequoia
Isn't that the LONG.. way. How far up will you be camping?
Just curious... I try to do a snow run up through there each year.
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back