• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good/Reccomended shops in the Portland area?

Shermellow

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently moved to the portland area i know the area very well but i dont know of any "good" shops here. Any reccomendations? Thanks in advance

Swag Offroad in Oregon City. His name is Troy, does amazing work and is very affordable.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/

Sherm, what up man. Your name is Steve right? its been a while. I figured after camping with us for a couple of days we would never see you again.

Swag did my Cage work. Great Stuff, Great Guy

Are you looking for Engine work? or Fab? SWAG does great fab work.

X2 on what Tonka said. For any engine, drive train, or suspension need I wouldn't hesitate to have them work on my Jeep.

If you have a drive line problem I would recommend Brian over at Driveline Tech. He's always treated me well on any u-joint, yoke, or drive line need I have had.

Hey shermellow I am kind of in the same boat as you but I am just trying to find a good fab shop.

Torx, I have tried calling driveline tech because i have seen you and other members talk so highly of them. Did they get a new number or something? And are they still in portland? Thank you for your help. I was going to order one from tom woods but I would rather support a local company.

I gave the owner of SWAG (Troy) a call on some rock rails and he quoted me $500 for tube rails. He also said his labor rate is 35 an hour which is really good but does $500 sound correct? Anyone get anything built besides a cage? Troy sounded like a really nice guy and was very knowledgable and gave me background about himself which was really cool as well. I got a price quote from a fab guy in longview WA who goes by WAHOOFAB and he said he would do some for 165 installed. Anyone ever deal with this guy or know of him. His name is aaron. He has a xj but dont think hes on here. Thank you everyone.

Torx, I have tried calling driveline tech because i have seen you and other members talk so highly of them. Did they get a new number or something? And are they still in portland? Thank you for your help. I was going to order one from tom woods but I would rather support a local company.
I haven't talked with Brian in awhile, so I'm not sure what the latest is. I know he was really feeling the slow economy awhile back.

He's off 202nd in Gresham. 503-793-3444

Also, I have heard a ton of good things about Ken down at Six States. I've never used them, but they are another great source for drive line, and axle needs.

My shop uses six states all the time for gears and other parts. Im just trying to find a shop that will make me a longer/stonger driveshaft. Thank you for your help torx and hopefully driveline tech is still open.

Hey shermellow I am kind of in the same boat as you but I am just trying to find a good fab shop.

I gave the owner of SWAG (Troy) a call on some rock rails and he quoted me $500 for tube rails. He also said his labor rate is 35 an hour which is really good but does $500 sound correct? Anyone get anything built besides a cage? Troy sounded like a really nice guy and was very knowledgable and gave me background about himself which was really cool as well. I got a price quote from a fab guy in longview WA who goes by WAHOOFAB and he said he would do some for 165 installed. Anyone ever deal with this guy or know of him. His name is aaron. He has a xj but dont think hes on here. Thank you everyone.

The quote of $500 was for rocker replacements. Way different than "rock rails". I had him do rocker replacements on my MJ. GlueNTape had him do rocker replacements as well.

A rocker replacement takes a piece of 2x4, 2x6, or even 2x8 if your crazy. Then you'll cut out the factory rocker panel on the Jeep (everything below the door), and it's replaced with said steel. Very high clearance, and very strong.

A rock rail is just a tube runnning along the bottom of the Jeep, bolted to the untibody.

Can you see why one would cost more than the other?

Here's a picture of the rocker replacements that were on my MJ done by SWAG offroad:

DSC_6394.jpg

Leonard's Off-Road. He's working out of his home shop now, but he's one of the best.

Leonards a .....
edit: My buddy talked to him just 3 days ago.. man.. That conversation was priceless...

Last edited by a moderator:
Troy is the only other person to work on my rig besides myself. The rocker replacements and cage are Fantastic.. he did exactly what I wanted and the price and performance have been awesome!

Back