• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disappeared

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
Hadn't intended to disappear completely, but that's how it worked out. Sorry if anyone was looking for us.
Midafternoon on Friday I'd had enough of following Les through areas on two wheels :scared: and my son had had enough wheeling in general, so we headed for town to unpucker and grab some dinner. About halfway there I heard a distinctly metallic sound hit my driver's side front wheelwell and then elsewhere along the bottom of the Jeep. Didn't see anything in the mirror, but stopped immediately to see if I'd lost anything. I hadn't reconnected my swaybar on leaving the park and was expecting to find that one end had come loose, caught the tire and been torn off. That' wasn't it, though. Not seeing anything amiss after a cursory look around, and not finding anything laying on the road, I took off again for town.
While heading back south, I was pondering the rain forecast for that night and decided it'd be a very solid idea to load up the Jeep and tow it out of the park so that I wouldn't be trying to tow out on that trail Saturday night when it had been thoroughly soaked. So load up I did and towed back to the motel. It was while unloading the Jeep in the motel parking lot that I noticed gear oil dripping from the driver's side knuckle. :helpme: A slightly closer look revealed that I'd spit a couple of caps off of that u-joint. :doh: I'm still trying to convince myself that those two caps were facing the rear and that is why I didn't notice them missing when I stopped on the side of the road and was looking from the front rather than crawling underneath. ANYway, I had a big puddle of diff oil on my trailer, so my guess is that running to town and back with two caps missing caused enough play in the shaft to waste the short-side axle seal. Not being in any mood to swap out the axle (I was carrying a spare, albiet a 260 jointed one) in the dark motel parking lot or the next morning in the rain, plus not having any diff oil with me, I quickly decided to strap the Jeep back down and call it a weekend.
I'd planned to tow back to the park entrance and catch a ride for my son and me, but he was getting ready to head home. He'd been such a trooper to that point that I didn't push it and we headed home.
Now of course, the story coouldn't end there, right? That would have been too easy. So how 'bout we throw in a blown trailer tire on the interstate in a driving rain? Yes, that'd make for a well-rounded weekend. :mad:
So, I pulled off and changed the tire which by that point was thoroughly shredded. I'm SO glad I carry a high-lift and have on-board air (cuz the spare was a tad low on air - hadn't bothered to check that one when topping off the others before departure Thursday morning).
So that's it. I'm home and dry, finally.
Sorry I didn't get to socialize with you guys a bit more. And also that I missed the dinner and raffle. I did have the usual good time wheeling at Winterfest, though!
Thanx to everyone involved in organizing. Thanx to the guys from JCR Offroad for lunch. Flat Nasty rocks.

AND, if anyone has any pics of my rig, I'd love to see them.
:cheers:

Well that really sucks!
We did all wonder what had happened to you!
I can understand though. Maybe next year will go smoother for you.
I have a feeling that this isn't the last time the MWC will make an appearance at FlatNasty. I did have gear oil BTW.:D Maybe we'll get our socializing in at the So. IL M&G. See you then.

Hale

Damn Jeff ... I am glad you posted up. I was a bit worried when I did not see you the next day or at the dinner. I was hoping everything was OK.

Also ... don't worry about not enjoying the off camber trails. Ask Bradshaw and Jim how they liked them. :laugh3:

Sorry to hear you had sooo much trouble, but glad to hear you made it home OK.

Les

We really did have a good time despite the troubles. Given the lengthy drives involved in many of the wheeling trips I take and the fact that they usually occur on weekends or overnight, I'm now seriously considering carrying a second spare for the trailer.
I'll be looking forward to heading back to Flat Nasty - lots of serious wheeling to be had. Before then, though, I need a little more clearance under my rig and a spotter's rope for those off-camber sections! :D
I'm looking forward to the M&G. Is it still set for April 7?

Did you get any pics?

What Rd said:
Did you get any pics?

Sure did Jeff.
Still working on getting them all uploaded.
I'll post up when I get er' done.

Hale

Haleyes said:
I'll post up when I get er' done.

Hale

You could post 'em up if your old lady'd get offa yer back.

Lawn Cher' said:
You could post 'em up if your old lady'd get offa yer back.
Got any pics of THAT? :D

100_2937.jpg

100_2942.jpg

100_2943.jpg

100_2948.jpg

100_2953.jpg

100_2959.jpg

100_2964.jpg

100_2966.jpg

The rest are here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v647/haleyes/Winterfest%2007%20FlatNasty/?start=0

bshaw said:
x10. Still pciking cotton out :D

Leather makes a interesting suction sound as well.

I kept thinking to myself, "What if Jeremy rolls this thing and my dumb ass actually thinks I'm strong enough to keep that from happening?"

bshaw said:
Yea, I was thinking the same with all you guys. Firgured a little pushing would be better than nothing though. I just kept myself in a quick escape route position :D.

The best thing would have been yanking uphill on a strap around the B-pillar.

Back