• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roller rockers?

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
i was just woundering if anyone has found roller rockers for the 4.0 HO i searched and i really didnt find anything... and I've tried all the big names company's and they have nothing. any ideas?

Yella Terra makes a set - I think you can get them from Q-tec (www.quadratec.com)

That said, any particular reason why you want to get them? Typically, RR's are used either for high-revving engines, used where parasitic drag is a major concern, or used to complement other mods. Very little benefit when used in otherwise stock engines. Just food for thought...

5-90

rustys sells them in the horsepower section...400 i think and probally would yield very little increase in power...just reduces friction some which in turn technically will increase hp... a stroker could benefit and maybe if you had that aluminum block with a lot of mods or some really modified 4.0 really its a lot of money you could put elsewhere like exhaust, intake, header, bored tb, cooling system, igintion etc . anyone have them for real results?

well im trying to get a bearing on what im gonna spend to finish the top end of a stroker... the right way...

Harland Sharp. Other than valvetrain longevity, there really is no reason to run them. You won't get measurable gains in HP at the rpm's that these engines run at. the real benefit in roller rockers is seen at or above 4000 rpm. They will increase the longevity of the valvetrain, though, due to the decrease in friction and wear at the rockers.

if you're putting these on a stroked 4.0 you may see better results than some of these guys are telling you, but they are correct in that more performance mods, you HP will increase exponentially with RRs

LilRedRover said:
if you're putting these on a stroked 4.0 you may see better results than some of these guys are telling you, but they are correct in that more performance mods, you HP will increase exponentially with RRs

Exponentially? No. Tangibly? Certainly.

While the rollerised rockers will serve to reduce parasitic drag at the interfaces between the valve tip and the rocker tip, and should also have a roller bearing to reduce friction at the pivot point, I'd hesitate to call the benefit "exponential." That's the sort of thing you get from forcing an additional two atmospheres into the engine.

Even with the stroker engine, you may or may not notice the fact of the increase, except by the old "butt dyno" readings.

As mentioned, RR's are usually more for engines that run at high RPM, and/or high-endurance engines. I'd like to see roller lifters for us tho - not for the friction reduction, but because they allow the use of more aggressive camshafts - which could seriously improve breathing...

5-90

5-90 said:
Exponentially? No. Tangibly? Certainly.

While the rollerised rockers will serve to reduce parasitic drag at the interfaces between the valve tip and the rocker tip, and should also have a roller bearing to reduce friction at the pivot point, I'd hesitate to call the benefit "exponential." That's the sort of thing you get from forcing an additional two atmospheres into the engine.

Even with the stroker engine, you may or may not notice the fact of the increase, except by the old "butt dyno" readings.

As mentioned, RR's are usually more for engines that run at high RPM, and/or high-endurance engines. I'd like to see roller lifters for us tho - not for the friction reduction, but because they allow the use of more aggressive camshafts - which could seriously improve breathing...

5-90

Agreed... exponentially was a little exaggerated

Just making sure we're on the same page.

I'm not saying that you won't get a benefit from RR's - just that the increase per dollar isn't going to be what you're likely to expect. I might use them when I build Project: REDSHIFT, but I probably won't use them in any of my daily drivers - it's just not worth the bux. Maybe, if they came down to around $200 per set - like for SBChevvy - they'd be worth bothering with - but I just don't see that happening anytime soon, either. After all, the SBChevvy is still in production, and the AMC I6 will be discontinued for the 2007 model year (and don't get me started on that!)

5-90

yeah for the engine he is using I probably wouldn't bother either, but when an built LS1 is dropped in my heep, we'll be rocking.

Roller rockers are beneficial if you are runnung an aggressive cam profile by reducing the side loads on the valve tips thereby helping the guides live a little longer. Other than that, you won't see a HP gain unless, there's a change in rocker ratio........Hans

Roller Rockers for a inline 6 stroker?

What are ya?

Willing to spend money for minimal gains?

Sheesh...

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

:D

You really don't need RR's on a stroker, but I couldn't resist the temptation... those pictured are the adjustable Mopar RR's which require using a valve cover spacer...

The Harland Sharps do not require a valve cover spacer. I have them on my triple 45 DCOE Rambler. They were worth every penny on that motor but it turns out ~300 hp, revs fast, was heavily ported,flow benched, big valves and has a custom cut cam.

I would never put them in my Cherokee which I use just for off road. Not worth it on a stump puller.

John

nosigma said:
The Harland Sharps do not require a valve cover spacer. I have them on my triple 45 DCOE Rambler. They were worth every penny on that motor but it turns out ~300 hp, revs fast, was heavily ported,flow benched, big valves and has a custom cut cam.

I would never put them in my Cherokee which I use just for off road. Not worth it on a stump puller.

John
I'd love to see a picture of that car!.........Hans

nosigma said:

John

The Harland Sharp's are not exactly a straight bolt-on job either. Firstly, you need to have the rocker arm bolt bosses shortened by 0.400" (1.0cm), redrilled, and tapped for the new rocker arm bolts. Secondly, the valve cover CCV baffles have to be cut so that they don't foul on the rocker gear.
I sent an e-mail to Clifford Performance to find out if any similar work has to be done to fit their 1.7 ratio roller rockers.

Back