• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know where to get something BEAD blasted?

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have kind of inhereted my dad's 1979 Formula Firebird since he passed away when I was younger. I am going to try and do a pretty full restoration, just getting it driveable first for a DD. Well it needs some work to say the least, most of it cosmetic unfortunately since thats what tends to cost the most. Well the outside of it has definately seen better days. Well I have been told by several sources, one my uncle who had done all this stuff before, to get the panels bead blasted. Well does anyone know of any places in Colorado, maybe Colorado Springs that does bead blasting? I know that it isnt cheap by any means, but need to do it before and further rust sets in. So anyone got some places they could recommend?

Do not have it sand blasted, media blasting can work. The problem is that sand blasting heats the metal and causes tons of warping. Once the metal is blasted, you need to do a fast metal prep and primer, otherwise it will start to rust in a day or so. The metal prep is the most important. Unless you have a full shop to do the work, I wouldn't think of blasting a vehicle. If the old paint is stuck and not coming off, do not remove it.

Yeah I had been told not to sand blasted, now I know why (thanks!). But wouldnt bead blasting be different? The thing is there is a heavy surface rust, not to where the peices need replacing, but I don't think I could get it off by hand...

Rust can be removed by many means, but I might think about just sanding it down a bit and painting it with POR-15. It makes a great primer/filler and will totally stabilize the rust.

Call up Platinum Powdercoaters here in town. It used to be Pat's Blasting before Pat let his son Zach take over. They got 35+ full-time employees and nothing but good stuff coming out of there. We spent about 2 years trying out every blaster and coater in-town for our ornamental steel, and they are the best. And if the Broadmoor buys off on the quality of our finished product...you probably will, too. HTH.

-Rich

Call American Stripping 719-578-5952. Talk to Nick. He is the owner. They do a lot of restoration work. Exactly like you are talking about. He is a good guy to talk to .

Dirt Surfer said:
Call American Stripping 719-578-5952. Talk to Nick. He is the owner. They do a lot of restoration work. Exactly like you are talking about. He is a good guy to talk to .

Cool, i'll give him a call sometime when i'm back. Damn hood on the firebird is almost as tall as me, and is as wide as most small cars. Thats gonna be an interesting one to move back and forth.

planefixer said:
Justin, I can do the smaller pieces at my shop.I've got a SkatBlast cabinet- just let me know.

That would be awesome! Saving anything on this project is going to help alot. Im going to be going at it for the week im back home for Spring Break. Most of the work is going to be done during the summer since I'll be back in CO...PERMANENTLY...:D

Oh and on a side note, you should hear the guys out here... "Hey do you know Led and the gang out there?" ...I kinda snicker each time they ask me that. Beerboy extraordinare...oh yeahhhhh :D

Back