• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas mileage with 33's 4.56's and an auto?

R

rangerjoe2001

what kind of gas mileage with 33's 4.56's and an auto?

with correct speedo gear installed..

i'll tell you in two months when i get bigger tires. i am hoping it will improve moving from 31's to 33's, i know it should on the highway

Maybe check out the thread what gas mileage are you getting, i think thats it, it has like 5-6 pages. There should be some info from someone with that setup..

I might be getting some 33 14.5 16 MT's anyone know what width and backspacing i should run for these tires?

Fenton Beech

PFunk242 said:
I might be getting some 33 14.5 16 MT's anyone know what width and backspacing i should run for these tires?

Fenton Beech

do a search first.. then post a new thread if you dont find it... this is about milage....

I have a '87 MJ w/33's, 4.56s and an auto and I was getting about 14-15 mpg in town. I had a feeling I was being cheated out of a few mpg, so a few months ago, I took the truck out of commission to go thru the motor and see if I could add power and make it more effecient at the same time. I'm switching to an HO head, ported/polished, 9.4:1 CR, '99 intake & injectors, bored TB, Comp cam, K&N filter, header w/new CAT and flowmaster, adjustable MAP. I should have it back together in a couple of months (ok, so I'm a little slow) and I'll check it again then.

rangerjoe2001 said:
what kind of gas mileage with 33's 4.56's and an auto?

with correct speedo gear installed..

'89 4.0 with 33 pro comps, I got same as I do with the 35's... 15 mph. Occasionally, up to 18. Depends on how much crap I've got as far as tools and such inside. and yep, have an auto, and 4:56's

if you want the best milage with that set up dont run muds stick with at's or a street tire they will help the millage just my 2 cents.

I have a 98 w/ 33 Trxus MT's, 4.56 and a AW4. I get anywhere from 15 to 20 mph. Have learned that for anything under 60mph leave the tranny in 3rd and you get the best gas mileage around town, but for anything above 60mph, just put it OD, If I keep the rpm's in the 2500 to 3000 range for highway, I get my best mileage. Once on my way back from florida, I averaged about 23mpg, still try to repeat that on, getting close every now and then, but stop and go traffic is not mileage friendly. If you wan the best mileage, get 4.88's, but if you are like me w/8.25, 4.56's are the lowest you can go.

CartsXJ said:
I have a 98 w/ 33 Trxus MT's, 4.56 and a AW4. I get anywhere from 15 to 20 mph. Have learned that for anything under 60mph leave the tranny in 3rd and you get the best gas mileage around town, but for anything above 60mph, just put it OD, If I keep the rpm's in the 2500 to 3000 range for highway, I get my best mileage. Once on my way back from florida, I averaged about 23mpg, still try to repeat that on, getting close every now and then, but stop and go traffic is not mileage friendly. If you wan the best mileage, get 4.88's, but if you are like me w/8.25, 4.56's are the lowest you can go.
89 with 35s 4.56s 4.0 and an auto...I get 12 in town and 15 highway...Funny thing...when I went to 35s from 33s I actually gained about 1 MPG...Go figure :huh:

DrMoab said:
89 with 35s 4.56s 4.0 and an auto...I get 12 in town and 15 highway...Funny thing...when I went to 35s from 33s I actually gained about 1 MPG...Go figure :huh:

I did notice that if I leave it in OD around town I get like 12mpg. But like I said if you leave it in 3rd around town and anything under 60mph, you should see a difference. Though, I have a 98, which has a little different torque curve. The idea is to keep you engine around its torque peak, or up in the higher toque range, so as to not cause the engine to have to work as hard and your tranny to shift as often. That whole the "lower your rpm's, the less gas your engine uses" saying, is complete crap in my daily-driving world. Maybe for some cars and trucks, but the 4.0L in my experience like to live in the 2500 to 3000 rpm range. This theory was even proven on my g/f's 2001 TJ with the 4.0L, 3550, 3.73 and 33 trxus mt's. If she leaves it in 4th she actually gets as good or better mileage than with the stock 30's. Its all about finding the sweet spot of you engine and trying to stay in it. Though its always fun to blow a new mustang, sports car or ricer off the line with a lifted XJ on 33's :greensmok: and that does wonders for you mileage. :dunce:

CartsXJ said:

thank you very much... thats exactly what i was looking for.. in fact im gonna use the trxus m/t tires also.. sounds good to me..

what about the power.. my 2000 with 3.55 and 31" BFG AT's wants to shift at the slightest hill

well if you go to 4.56 with 33's your power should be there and if you run it in OD all the time, it will want to shift, trust me, I know. If you leave it in 3rd around town, it doesn't shift nearly as much, and keeps the engine more in its power range. Just leave OD to highway and anything over 60mph and you should see great results.

CartsXJ said:
well if you go to 4.56 with 33's your power should be there and if you run it in OD all the time, it will want to shift, trust me, I know. If you leave it in 3rd around town, it doesn't shift nearly as much, and keeps the engine more in its power range. Just leave OD to highway and anything over 60mph and you should see great results.

Gracias

So I just put my gear selector into the "3" mark instead of drive? Thats fine to do around town? Hmm I guess I shoulda tried that before. Its ok for a lot of stopping and going and everything? (newb questions sorry lol)

yup....all it does is prevent the tranny from shifting into OD, all the other functions are the same, including the torque-converter lockout. I know alot of people that drive in 3rd gear all the time and that with 31's and 3.55's.

Back