• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ cracking door latch

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I was doing some basic maintenance to the 1998 Grand and found one of the torx screws for the drivers door latch was backed out and the other two weren't very tight. There is also a crack starting at one of the screws.

From what I gather my door hinges are worn and need replacement. I also need to add a reinforcement to the latch area and I'd like to do it before it becomes a total disaster. Is the aluminum brace on eBay the best one. Its from CS Door Plates for about $24. Is this the best (maybe only) one to use?

i just took some big washers and put on the outside. there's room where the door closes.

next time i get a chance to get to the door, i'll snap a pic of it.

i brought a door that was a mess of smashed metal back to life.

mac 'thought it was done' gyvr

I thought I remember reading you making that repair. I was wondering how you fixed it.

Can you recommend a door pin kit to replace the worn stockers?

That isn't bad at all. It's the installation that will suck. I dread that job.

I take the door off.

Theres plugs in the door for the wires.

Usually its the bushings that are bad.

mac ‘easier than an xj door’ gyvr

ddc159f4f174fbd2a6409754895aa049.jpg

Finally snapped a pic Ed...

mac ‘fender washer’ gyvr

We are thinking on the same page. I was looking at that very kit.

It took long enough but I finally ordered the hinge kit for Verde and for a 1998 XJ that we drive. I also got the CS door reinforcement plate.

Looks like I will be doing door hinges over the 4th of July holiday.

Back