• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 from wrangler,proper tcase clocking?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got an ax15 on the way from advance adapters.I understand that the ax15s they carry are for wranglers so my options are

A. Swap tranny tailhousing with one with the right bolt pattern to clock the tcase properly for an xj.Not very appealing....

Or

B. Drill new holes in the transmission tailhousing(aka. Extension housing)for proper clocking.More appealing...

My question is I've heard of one story of someone doing this so before I go drilling is there enough "meat" to do this without having problems with cracks and stuff???Seems like a lot of torque will be transmitted in that area.....am I being paranoid?

Option (C) does require (I am given to understand) some sheetmetal work in the transmission tunnel. No, I don't know how much.

You can look for a properly clocked adapter under an XJ, 1993 ZJ with 6-242 and AX-15 (they're out there!) or even a Dakota with the LA238 engine. I'm reasonably certain (but have yet to verify) that they are all clocked the same.

If you drill out your adapter housing to re-clock it, do your level best to spotface the surface for the nuts, or use spherical washers to let them bear on the surface properly. You can find spherical washers through better MRO companies - I'd be amazed if MSC Direct doesn't have them, or maybe McMaster-Carr (a "spherical washer" is actually two piece - with a mating spherical curve in between. They allow a nut or screw head to bear on a surface that isn't normal to the axis of the screw, without forcing the screw to bend.)

Back