• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Golden Mountain

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Has anyone been to Golden Mountain in Sparta, TN recently? The website has a lot of broken links so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I'm thinking of running up there for a Saturday to ride.

I've not been in years. At one of the last SFWDA meetings it was rumored that it was closing and that the owners weren't going to operate it anymore. If memory serves me correctly, the owners of the property aren't even living in TN and simply have a caretaker.

I've got an email out to Ray Stanley, the SFWDA president, to see if he knows anything.

Last edited:
Short answer from Ray is "YES" Golden Mountain is still open. He wants to talk to me next week about the backstory and circumstances at the park. SFWDA is still planning Dixie Run at Golden Mountain in September.

Isn't Golden Mountain near Sparta? Isn't that the place with the abandoned baseball field? I think we went there a few years ago for a NAXJA event.

There was a Fall Flog there. It has a dirt track. It’s in Sparta.

Here is the short background on Golden Mountain-

It was purchased by Henry Randolph years ago as a "playground" for his family and others. He passed away about 4 or 5 years ago and his wife Jane has been slowly liquidating assets, land, and businesses. GMP hasn't been a priority for her in operating or selling.

Several years ago an investor group looked at purchasing GMP, but ultimately passed on it as the park didn't have a clear record of finances - as most transactions were cash and done to the family rather than the park. The investors couldn't get a financing loan due to a lack of ability to recreate the books.

Then Tom Pickett was approached to purchase the park, shortly before he sold AOP. They were about $1.5 mil a part in value and he backed out.

Last word is that the park is not formally for sale - that is with a real estate agent - but rather for sale "by word of mouth." A survey of the property regarding what is and isn't included in the sale was to have been completed by April , but by May the survey hadn't been started yet.

SFWDA has committed to Golden Mountain for Dixie Run 2018, but not beyond. As of current understanding the park is open year round for private park rental, but otherwise only open one weekend per month for public trail riding.

Sounds like I need to check with my local guy just to be sure everything is good. I may run out there on a Saturday just to play for a while. If I do, I'll put something int he event section.

Back