• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch cable

Kego814

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm assembling my 8274 and I have the choice of stainless or galvanized cable. I'm leaning towards stainless. But I'm not sold. Stainless tends to give out right now. Where galvanized has some stretch to it. Who has input?

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

I would go with synthetic. It's by far safer and splice-able if you manage to break it.

Abrasion resistance and UV resistance are the two places where traditional cable still shines. Steel/stainless definitely win for long term durability.

There are pros and cons on both sides.

I know that my synthetic cable is only 15 years old (and maybe i dont wheel hard?) but its barely starting to show any wear.

I think those arguments hold very limited merit.

I know that my synthetic cable is only 15 years old (and maybe i dont wheel hard?) but its barely starting to show any wear.
I think those arguments hold very limited merit.

I was 15 when I watched my uncle attempting to winch a ironwood tree stump out.
When the steel cable broke, it shot through the jeep's windshield and out though the back window, missing his head by inches, it made big impression on me.
I will never own a steel winch cable.

I was 15 when I watched my uncle attempting to winch a ironwood tree stump out.
When the steel cable broke, it shot through the jeep's windshield and out though the back window, missing his head by inches, it made big impression on me.
I will never own a steel winch cable.

I've seen this play out a couple of times and completely agree.

Only synthetic for me.

I'd rather deal with abrasion than having a cable flying at me. Anything that stores energy by stretching is an accident waiting to happen when it lets go.

What's the breaking strength of stainless vs galvanized vs synthetic? Weigh your pros and cons. The 8274 is a nice winch though. :)

I also have yet to see a commercial tow truck running a synthetic line. They are running steel, and on some pretty high dollar equipment.

I also have yet to see a commercial tow truck running a synthetic line. They are running steel, and on some pretty high dollar equipment.

Cheaper to run steel, especially in the ratings they're after. You also don't see any 5/16" steel wire rope in the commercial world like you do on most of the "9000lb" winches (min breaking strength 8500-ish lbs, safe working load 1700lbs) currently for sale.

As with everything engineering related: ratings are ratings and assume proper maintenance/condition by the user.

Synthetic is lighter, safer when breaking, and is generally rated higher diameter for diameter. You have to pay attention to what it's running over more than steel (both shouldn't be rubbed against rocks if you want them to last) as it won't stand any abrasion, and needs to be replaced more frequently if left to stand in the sun.

I run a UltRanger 3/8" synthetic rope. I paid $140 for it on Amazon. I will never go back to steel cables.

Is it my imagination, or has the price of synthetic lines gone way down in the past year or two? I was just looking on line and it seemed much more affordable than I seem to recall from the last time I looked.

There are a lot of cheap import knock off cables available now.

Quality seems to be lacking in them. I'd still look at the major brands.

Back