• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank recall

michael palmer

NAXJA Forum User
So the g/f took her 94 in for the recall on the fuel tank. They told her it was too rusted out to do their trailer hitch fix. Told her something about a buy back program. Any input?

Have you looked at the nut-strip reference locations to see if the dealer mechanics are correct in their assessment? I took one of my vehicles to the dealer some 240 miles one way, and they were full of b.s. in so many ways costing me major bucks, loss of time, etc., and no fix. A mechanic/welding shop can probably fix any issue as per the rusted parts. Just time, and money, lol. OR; Sell it.

I have read somewhere that there would be no buy back program, (of WJ's in particular), as it would cost Chrysler Billions of fiat dollars..; and the consequence of that could/would cost billions to taxpayers to bail them out again, blah, blah. I would expect that's also true of your '93 too.

For those curious about those GAS TANK/HITCH Purpose recalls, (1993 through 2007), follow along with this site, and follow provided links;
http://www.myjeepauto.com/

:flame: If you, the reader, have the WJ, it is a Chrysler version of the Ford Pinto's gas tank issue, i.e., a potential death trap if one is rear ended with no possibility of getting out before burning to death. There are youtube clips showing the disaster tested at 30 mph of a rear-ended WJ. :flame:

My first plan; I intend to tape a glass smashing tool, or two, or three in which to grab in order to exit the vehicle in such a mishap if I cannot open the crumbled door.

Second plan is to sell it once I fix it's little problems, and toss that money into upgrading my '89.

According to what I read, the best you can hope for is a $1000 credit towards the purchase towards a new FCA vehicle.

I've also read that some dealers just don't want to do the work if there is any rust in that area. I've read where people remove the hitch and clean the area and threads to make it easier for the dealer to make the repair. Now if the rail is crumbling and rusted full of holes, I can see them declining the repair.

So the g/f took her 94 in for the recall on the fuel tank. They told her it was too rusted out to do their trailer hitch fix. Told her something about a buy back program. Any input?

That's "car dealer" talk for "We screw you when you trade your old vehicle in and put you into a new vehicle so we keep our sales figures up".

IE, sounds like total BS to me.

According to what I read, the best you can hope for is a $1000 credit towards the purchase towards a new FCA vehicle.

I've also read that some dealers just don't want to do the work if there is any rust in that area. I've read where people remove the hitch and clean the area and threads to make it easier for the dealer to make the repair. Now if the rail is crumbling and rusted full of holes, I can see them declining the repair.

If you already have a hitch, why would you take it in? That's their "fix"- install a hitch.

Personally, my wife's 94 has a hitch already- to which I've welded a skidplate of 1/4" plate, completely surrounding the tank. I'm not concerned about their "fix".

If you already have a hitch, why would you take it in? That's their "fix"- install a hitch.

Personally, my wife's 94 has a hitch already- to which I've welded a skidplate of 1/4" plate, completely surrounding the tank. I'm not concerned about their "fix".

Because the dealer needs to inspect it to be sure it is an acceptable replacement unit. Not all receiver hitches are created equal.

Because the dealer wants to try to "fix" it by getting you in front of a salesman.

Fixed it for you.

I've sold cars and worked in a dealer's mechanic's shop. I'm not saying this happens in all of them, but I would bet money it happens in most.

If they really wanted to fix the problem, they'd implement a legitimate fix. The hitch (which apparently they are advising you not to use for towing- despite the fact it's got a receiver on it) doesn't fully protect the tank, nor does it do anything for the fuel filler hose, which apparently was poorly-routed and easily comes loose during a rear end collision, which is an automatic fail of the NTSB specs.

Additionally, it's interesting they never issued a recall for the XJ, which is nearly identical to the ZJ in terms of tank location, mounting, etc.

Back