• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running hp44/9" full width axles on 37x12.50x15 tires--How much lift/b.s. on 8" rims

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Running hp44/9" full width axles on 37x12.50x15 tires--How much lift/b.s. on 8" rims

Running hp44/9" full width axles on 37x12.50x15 tires--How much lift/b.s. on 8" rims?

How much back spacing can U get for 15x8" rims with my full width axles (hp44/9")? Would 4" b.s. work good so it will not be that wide? How much susp lift do I need to clear my 37's.

I have 7-8" right now on 35's. Also because I'm going full width and my tires are going to stick out a bit, I'm looking for some Shara TJ flares to cover up my tires. I wasn't running flares with my hp30/44 axles on 35x12.50x15 tires with 8" rims, and it stuck out a bit. Please advise.
thanks,
Troy

Re: Running hp44/9" full width axles on 37x12.50x15 tires--How much lift/b.s. on 8" rims

Thanks Brett, that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure what the b.s. is of my 8" beadlock rims, I'll see how it looks and runs. I know that with a 15" rim, it is hard alot of times to get the larger brakes of the 44 and 9" into the rim so U are forced to run wider than you'd like unless U got with a 16 or 16.5" rim. Do U know how much b.s. U can do with a 10" wide rim, more than 4" b.s.?
Troy

Re: Running hp44/9" full width axles on 37x12.50x15 tires--How much lift/b.s. on 8" r

Do you have the 37's already? (sounds like you do).

If not, go with a 37 on 17" rim. Then go with 5" of bs. It'll easily swallow the brakes, etc. and won't be too wide for northern CA trails. That'd be your best bet.

Re: Running hp44/9" full width axles on 37x12.50x15 tires--How much lift/b.s. on 8" r

15x10s won't let you run any more backspacing than a 15x8, keep to a 15x8 with a 12.50 tire. Half-ton brakes (5 or 6 lug) should fit pretty easily in a 15, it's the 3/4 ton (8 lug) that needs big wheels or little backspacing. I don't know the maximum you can go, but a search here and on Pirate should reveal the answer. you don't want too deep of backspacing or you will bash your hubs on rocks all the time.

with a 65" axle and 4" backspacing you will be about the exact width of mine up front (61.5 wms, 2.5bs 15x10s) which was great on everything except too wide on Winch Hill 3 on Fordyce.

XJZ said:
Do you have the 37's already? (sounds like you do).

If not, go with a 37 on 17" rim. Then go with 5" of bs. It'll easily swallow the brakes, etc. and won't be too wide for northern CA trails. That'd be your best bet.

Yeah, I have the 37x12.50x15 on 15x8 beadlock rims. I stole them from my CJ7 buggy. I plan to run 35" mtrs on my Cj7 to sell it, not as nice looking as 37's but they should work. U cannot see the red beadlock rims in these pics, but here's a link to them:

http://jeep-classifieds.com/classifieds/viewad.asp?id=19131&from=account

Troy

BrettM said:
15x10s won't let you run any more backspacing than a 15x8, keep to a 15x8 with a 12.50 tire. Half-ton brakes (5 or 6 lug) should fit pretty easily in a 15, it's the 3/4 ton (8 lug) that needs big wheels or little backspacing. I don't know the maximum you can go, but a search here and on Pirate should reveal the answer. you don't want too deep of backspacing or you will bash your hubs on rocks all the time.

with a 65" axle and 4" backspacing you will be about the exact width of mine up front (61.5 wms, 2.5bs 15x10s) which was great on everything except too wide on Winch Hill 3 on Fordyce.

What did U do on Winch Hill 3, up and over instead of squeezing through? I was at the back of the line and didn't see it when I went with the big group. :laugh3:

Re: Running hp44/9" full width axles on 37x12.50x15 tires--How much lift/b.s. on 8" rims

What did U do on Winch Hill 3, up and over instead of squeezing through? I was at the back of the line and didn't see it when I went with the big group.

Brett, is this where U had trouble on Fordyce with your width?

177548296HkZDaP

177548131wvBXjR

Last edited:

you can see the squeeze in that picture, I was too wide so I tried the left side in that picture and it wasn't working, then I tried the right side (where I'm at in that picture) and that was just a dumb line, but I figured it doesn't hurt to try.

In hindsight, I think I could have swung wider at the right side (left in that picture) and made it.

BrettM said:
you can see the squeeze in that picture, I was too wide so I tried the left side in that picture and it wasn't working, then I tried the right side (where I'm at in that picture) and that was just a dumb line, but I figured it doesn't hurt to try.

In hindsight, I think I could have swung wider at the right side (left in that picture) and made it.

I guess I have the same thing to look forward to and probably worse with my full width axles. I wasn't trying to make fun of your line, just was wondering if this is the squeeze U were talking about. I found it in Porch Puppy's pics.

What did U end up doing to get beyond that squeeze???

Back