• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warn 8274 motor is TOAST!

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
welp, just came up from the basement....

did exploratory surgery on the warn winch.

ouch!

you should see the motor.....

it looks like a practical joke. It looks like someone snuck the windings out of the thing and dumped a sack of smashedup wedding china and galvazied roofing nails inside!

since I think "warranty" is a time-consuming joke at this point, anyone have any good ideas for me?

is a warn motor the only way to go?

Take it to a starter/altenator shop!That was the only way I could get my old Ramsey motor fixed(rebuilt)!Price was good too!

I've got a feeling that's what I'm going to find when I split Tim's case apart this weekend. At least when I take 'em out, I do it right.

Sean

maybe something like this?

AUT_3320.JPG

rcp, naw man I mean the thing is WASTED.

the ONLY thing that isn't totally fried on it is the motor housing itself.

That makes mine looks like a brand new Porche compared to my Ramsey motor.All they need is a core that can be rewound!

B,

Your going to need to go full hydro. :D

That sucks.

Now you're going to need to buy a normal winch like the rest of us. One of Sean's favorite type, you know the type that pulled his sorry a$$ out of that canyon. :D

mark

Daaaaamn, Beezil.
With all that motor debris bouncing around, I'm surprised you didn't have a nasty case of death wobble!
;)

Time to step up to a Ramsey.

Or better yet, a Pierce......just ask Troy..

Tow truck winches are cool.

CRASH

Wasn't that motor giving you fits at Winterfest? Or was it solenoids? Damn, what a joke. They gotta warantee that. For now, slap a new gradicular giraffe rod in there and wail on it.

I burnt my motor on my 8274 too. It did not look like that though. You can upgrade to the high HP one (unless that's what you already have, kinda looks like it). I upgraded a year ago. Cost just over $200 if I remember correctly. Find some of the Warn dealers online like Pirate, they don't add much markup. That would be the best bet.

Steve

Looks like the only option is to box the whole she-bang up, including all of the misc. nuts, bolts,solenoids, and the cable - then ship it to me for recycling. I'll give you twice scrap metal value (about $5), and I'll pay for shipping to Kansas City......This way you will be helping the environment, and I'm sure that I will be able to recycle all of the parts into a project around here :rolleyes:

If you won't fall for that, look in the yellow pages under Motor, Electric - Repair Services. I've found these guys have a little better grasp of what's what with this type of motor, vs the alternator/starter guys. May have more to do with one shop vs. another than any real difference.

You might want to check "Graingers" and others for a replacement motor - the 8274 motor is very similar to one that I have in a hydraulic power pack on a lift at work - when it went south, best $$ option was a replacement from Graingers.

May be worth a call to Warn, depending on the age. I know that they have treated some people really good on their motors, with you sending yours in and them just sending you a new one. Phone calls are cheap

Try giving Warn a call first. At my last local club run, I was talking with a 4x4 shop owner, and he stated that he had sent back a burnt out Warn motor that was over 1 1/2 years old, low hp, and they sent him a new high hp motor free of charge.
May be worth a shot

call up warn customer service. there reps are very good people, ive heard of all sorts of free parts (hubs, winch controllers, diff guards, hub fuses, etc.. for vechicles in the build process) coming from these guys, after the initial servicing/ fix your current problem has been taken care of. not to mention freebies for clubs such as NAXJA

Hunter

Damn

Damn Beezil, I am surprised that thing spun long enough to do that much damage. You would think it would self destruct and come to a grinding halt way before it would comsume itself that much.

After seeing you haul Sean up that waterfall I was all set to find an 8274 and build a bumper around it. Now I am sitting here thinking that the weak link on the warn's is the motor.....first Sean(all his mechanicals and solenoids checked out fine if you remember) and now yours.

Be sure to post whatever route you end up going on redoing the motor. My 9000 is making noises as if the motor is going. Gears, etc look fine like Sean's so I expect to be doing just an electrical replace.

I do have a local starter rebuild shop that I may ask to look at redoing the winch. Afterall, an electrical motor is pretty basic/similar?!

Then again, I may have to look into what it would take to do a rebuild myself. May be a business opp a knockin here!

General Rule of thumb to avoid that kind of burnt motor:

When winching with a load, winch for one minute, let it cool for 2 minutes, and repeat. This will let the motor cool and let your charging system recover.

This little tidbit was given to me by Harry Robinson, the original owner of Link Arc, when he was helping me install a dual battery setup in my flattie prior to a trip to surprise canyon.

With his advise, and extensive winch work, I still have the same winch, motor and batteries, and they're in good shape.

Dan

Back