• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring problems

McBergs

NAXJA Forum User
So I have some pictures here off an xj I bought about a month ago. I’m pretty sure it has horrible axle wrap, bounces like hell and jolts whenever I get on the gas. I have no way of telling for sure since I don’t have a go pro but I’ve heard that blocks will make that happen. I see it has a small one, but I also have this 8 inch (from the bolt to the bottom) long shackle on the rear and was wondering if that had anything to do with it. There’s nothing on the front but idk if that’s supposed to be like that or not. Also wondering if these leaf springs look like oem size? Not sure if I should get new springs and shackles or just springs. Thanks for any advice guys.
633e9f2e7c302b8143a2cd08d867241f.jpg

0ee629753d02ad464f1f798980a1cda8.jpg

10af73097fb60427c308dd73d537355d.jpg

That looks like a shim and is not causing your problem. Is it lifted 3" cant really tell from your picture if the leaf pack is oem.

The front mount is how its supposed to be

Shackle relocation bracket would help but also will raise it some.

I've never got on the throttle hard enough to make mine cause axle wrapp. Specially on the street that would be hard to do.

Your shackle angle and shitty shocks might have something to do with your jeep bouncing around.

Ya lmao I have to put the last shock in that side, whoever did this did a shitty job because the driveline angles are all messed up so I have to fix that when I get new springs. Pretty sure it’s something like a 5.5 inch lift. I wanna get rid of this long ass shackles and get some proper springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size tires are on it? If you have 31" or smaller, get the rough country 3" lift kit. Spacer and shackle lifts really don't work. If the springs you have are saggy, then opt for a full spring kit instead of the add-a-leaf. You will be amazed at how much better it rides with a proper lift.

What size tires are on it? If you have 31" or smaller, get the rough country 3" lift kit. Spacer and shackle lifts really don't work. If the springs you have are saggy, then opt for a full spring kit instead of the add-a-leaf. You will be amazed at how much better it rides with a proper lift.

I’m downsizing from 33 to 31, I’d be fine with downsizing the lift as well but I think I’d need to buy more than just springs for the front right? Because this already has a big lift but I don’t know what size the lift is.

Nah. You'll be fine with just springs. The track bar you have is hopefully adjustable. If it's stock, you can drill a hole 1" over and relocate it. If the Pittman arm got changed you should probably go back to a stock one.

The rear shackles look sketchy. I'd put some stock ones on. You might not even need to replace the leaf springs. Some decent shocks will do you a world of good.

Assuming photograph of your shackle is taken with weight on wheels, your shackle angle is in about the worst position, i.e...vertical. 45 degrees is optimal angle. Been there before like you, then fixed it with relocation bracket to get 45 degrees and the improvement was HUGE!

you may need to get a different length shackle also.to fine tune the angle and ride height as changing angle changes ride height.

Always set the shackle angle correctly. Ride quality is more dependant on this than you may think. It sure was for me.

Assuming photograph of your shackle is taken with weight on wheels, your shackle angle is in about the worst position, i.e...vertical. 45 degrees is optimal angle. Been there before like you, then fixed it with relocation bracket to get 45 degrees and the improvement was HUGE!

you may need to get a different length shackle also.to fine tune the angle and ride height as changing angle changes ride height.

Always set the shackle angle correctly. Ride quality is more dependant on this than you may think. It sure was for me.

Ya I noticed that, I wasn’t the one who did the lift so I’m gonna get a 4.5 inch lift spring and get a stock or maybe an inch longer shackle. I don’t like what’s on there now.

You must have some very stiff springs if that long of shackle doesn't even effect the arch!

You must have some very stiff springs if that long of shackle doesn't even effect the arch!

I think it does, I get horrible axle wrap and the springs look pretty flat to me, I think they’re about done.

Back