• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with XJ stalling problem

MSU-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My '89 XJ stalls everytime the passenger side of the engine compartment gets wet. It has a 4.0, it's fuel injected, it's an automatic, and I can't figure it out. It even stalls going through a car wash!! It won't start until it sits for a while and dries off. I can't find any info on this problem, can anyone help?

Also check around your coil and relay bank.

When was the last time you change the cap, rotor and wires?

Thanks for the advice, its been a while since I've changed the cap, rotor and wires. I'm in school right now so I dont use it very much, I'll check around the coil and relay bank, and I'll change the cap, rotor and wires and hopefully that will solve it.

If you have oxidation (that white or greenish stuff) under the plug boots (distributor cable boots), it sucks up water. The breather on top of the distributor is a likely place to get water inside the distributor.
I use silicon cables and boots (long boots for the plugs) they seem to seal better and last longer.
Older cables get stiff, hard and often don't seal well. They sometimes crack.

Back