• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with dying

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
Well Saturday night I had a mishap and my Jeep broke down. It would run for a bit, then die, but it would start right up. Finally I got to a point where it wouldn't start, but after sitting for a bit it would.

Last night (Monday) I replaced my fuel filter and when I looked at the old one it was starting to destroy itself from the inside out, and all the junk on the inside was clogging up the flow. I got rid of all the junk and then I could blow through it, but I put the new one on. I thought that solved the problem, but I was driving in the snow today, playing around a little, you know fishtailing, etc. It died again. I put it in neutral and it started up but it was idling at like 2k then to about 1500, that's not normal, but was it because I was in neutral?

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump was replaced before I got it (March of 03), and I've never had this problem before. Should I try replacing the plugs/wires and distributor cap? Any help would be appreciated

My XJ is a 95 country, 4wd, automatic, 4.0, 115,500 miles Thanks

Hmmm...

With XJ's, I've learned that any kind of problem like the one you're having is more than likely the crank position sensor (also referred to as speed sensor). It's on the top-front of the tranny bell housing, just behind the valve cover.

Over time, these tend to get covered with oil or grease and start shorting out. If it starts getting worse, to where it won't restart for a while, try finding the wires that go to this sensor and unplug/replug the two-wire connector. If it fires right up after doing that, I'd bet that's your problem.

I always carry a spare CPS with me now...heh.

Hope this helps ya out!

Pyro

i had the exact came problem on my 16th bday, when i got my liscence.... took it to a local shop in wilmington and i thikn it cost me a round 75 - 100 bucks to get it replaced

Are they pretty hard to replace? I wanna be able to do it myself and not get screwed over at a repair shop. Was the CPS 75-100 or was that with the labor?

it was like 115 total i think, but hee knew i was payin out of my pocket as a 16 yr old so i dunno if he heloped m out or not....

Back