• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Light duty farm equipment....recommendations??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, we just signed a contract on 73 acres in Randolph Co WV(20 mins from Snowshoe :D). Beautiful piece of property, 3 bedroom house, BIG barn(dirt floor :() About a quarter of the piece is a field that will need to be mowed every now and again, the rest is hilly and wooded. We realize that we are going to need some sort of equipment to handle general plowing(120" of snowfall anually), mowing, and hauling duties around the property. The question is, can a hefty quad handle this sort of work? or do we need to get a small tractor? or maybe a quad and a bobcat? Talk to me guys, the field will probably be used for hay, but will be harvested by someone other than us. Mainly we will use the property for hunting/fishing and resort lodging when going to Snowshoe. We will probably get a quad or two regardless, just wondering if we will need a tractor as well. Thanks, I'm really excited about this. :cool:

Ary

Get a CJ with the PTO, they had a line of equipment. Including sickle bar mowers, field plows, snow equipment, a tow truck rig, and other assorted stuff.

Hey, may not be what you wanted. But at least it would be a Jeep, and not wasting money on quads.

I'd skip the skidsteer unless you're planning on close quarters work. These things are great fun, but really hard on turf and soft dirt.

If you're cutting hay, you're going to want a reasonably heft utility tractor, at least 40+ hp. I wouldn't go this route if the major use of the tractor is cutting hay for someone else.

Snow? Plow, or a blower? WV is going to get some fairly wet snow, a blower may not be the best bet. I wouldn't bet on a quad handling this well at all.

I think I'd be looking at a 20 hp diesel 4wd with a loader. That's big enough to run a 6' brush cutter as well as take care of plowing.

ChiXJeff said:
I'd skip the skidsteer unless you're planning on close quarters work. These things are great fun, but really hard on turf and soft dirt.

If you're cutting hay, you're going to want a reasonably heft utility tractor, at least 40+ hp. I wouldn't go this route if the major use of the tractor is cutting hay for someone else.

Snow? Plow, or a blower? WV is going to get some fairly wet snow, a blower may not be the best bet. I wouldn't bet on a quad handling this well at all.

I think I'd be looking at a 20 hp diesel 4wd with a loader. That's big enough to run a 6' brush cutter as well as take care of plowing.

Agree with all of the above. I recieved a notice from Northern tools that they are selling 4x4 25 horsepower tractors for around $8K. I'll try to find a link to em online.

Awesome, thanks guys. I will pass this info along to my dad(the bill payer;) I'm the laborer ;)). With the general specs of what you just said, what would I be looking at for a used tractor?? The initial purchase is going to eat up most of the available funds, so money's gonna be tight for additional farm purchases. Also, what attachments should I look for? The main mowing that will go on will be of the large grass field around the house, and another pasture that's down a creek(can be boggy at times). I think we are going to have a farmer come and plant and harvest the hay in the field in exchange for keeping it maintained.

Will a loader act like a decent plow? or would be need to get something like a box scraper or the like to use as a plow. We'd prolly have one of the locals come do the driveway after the big snows, but in order to get to the out buildings and the barn, our own plow would be handy. Someone would frequent the property at least one weekend per month year round(someone meaning me or my parents, or some other relative), so I'm not talking about daily living here. Once again thanks for the help guys. Keep the info coming. :)

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:
Awesome, thanks guys. I will pass this info along to my dad(the bill payer;) I'm the laborer ;)). With the general specs of what you just said, what would I be looking at for a used tractor?? The initial purchase is going to eat up most of the available funds, so money's gonna be tight for additional farm purchases. Also, what attachments should I look for? The main mowing that will go on will be of the large grass field around the house, and another pasture that's down a creek(can be boggy at times). I think we are going to have a farmer come and plant and harvest the hay in the field in exchange for keeping it maintained.

Will a loader act like a decent plow? or would be need to get something like a box scraper or the like to use as a plow. We'd prolly have one of the locals come do the driveway after the big snows, but in order to get to the out buildings and the barn, our own plow would be handy. Someone would frequent the property at least one weekend per month year round(someone meaning me or my parents, or some other relative), so I'm not talking about daily living here. Once again thanks for the help guys. Keep the info coming. :)

Ary

Ary,
As far as the blade... I'd add one to a 4x4 truck for keeping the driveway cleared. $900 used all day long in those parts.

The other option for bushhogging would be either a bushhog (requires that tractor again) or a hitch drawn self-contained mower for the Jeep! (around $2-3K)

Deano, my dad isn't quite the do-it-yourselfer. He'd much rather pay a local to plow the driveway. I on the other hand hate letting other people do stuff. I was thinking about maybe trying to find an old Ford 4x4 with a plow and just using that for plow duties, but that would be it's only use, since I have my Jeep for getting around(and quads too probably) and the truck wouldn't be very useful for land upkeep. Thanks

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:

I wouldn't use a material bucket for a snow plow. You really want a blade for that. The bucket will really want to dig in, while the blade will have skid shoes on it for depth control.

Dad plowed snow on the farm (MI's Northern lower peninsula, 225-250" per year) with an open top tractor and a front end loader (yes, a 9' blade) for 40 years. Finally picked up a blower 10 or 12 years ago, and has never looked back.

Forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between a material bucket and a "front end loader" or a "9' blade"?? I've been around construction my whole life, but not farms and their terminology. Thanks

Ary

For the driveway, a good old 4x4 ford is good. So is a Scout, or similar vehicle. Here in New England it's not hard to find a plow truck that's too far gone in the body to pass inspection, but still has plenty of life in it. Try to get one with true hydraulic lift rather than electric, or you'll need to be careful about killing the battery as you work. If you have an electric lift, carry a spare good battery with you, or set up an isolated dual-battery system. I learned this back in 1973 when I stalled with a dead battery straddling the highway on a very cold very windy very snowy day. I much prefer a stick to an automatic for plowing. If you have steep slopes, resist the temptation to put chains on the front wheels. A good plow vehicle should be able to run the whole length of the driveway in a foot and a half of snow. If you hire somebody you'll miss a lot of fun. Snowplowing with the right equipment can be a rather enjoyable subspecies of wheeling.

A loader will not work like a plow, because it will not shed the snow off the sides of the blade. You'll have to stop when it fills, go sideways and dump it. If you do get a tractor with a loader, you can get a plow blade to replace the bucket, though.

I have 10+ acres of fields that require now-and-again mowing (nobody needs the hay any more, so I just mow to keep it from reverting to woods). I use a '54 Ford NAA (31 PTO horsepower) tractor with a 5 foot bush hog. It has plenty of power for this, and will do a lot very quickly. A bush hog will do a pretty neat job even on lawns when set low, but still can get into the rough stuff - very versatile, but pretty power hungry. Any one of the family of small Fords starting with the 9N in 1939 would do that job nicely, as would many other farm tractors. The Ford (and similar Ferguson) are a good size, though. Avoid tractors with "tricycle" front ends. You can sometimes find a real bargain on these old tractors if you don't mind the looks, but some, such as the NAA, are getting a bit rare and collectible, so the prices are going up. Many of these tractors (including most older Fords and Fergies) also do not have a "live" PTO, which means that they run through the transmission and the clutch. An overrunning clutch on the PTO shaft is an absolute must if you run a bush hog.

For other attachments, if you have a long dirt driveway, a scraper blade on the back, or a heavy duty York rake (or both) are well worth looking for. The scraper blade can also plow light snow.

I think a good solid old tractor with a PTO-driven mower will serve better and probably be a better deal than a self-powered mower behind a Jeep or ATV. I've seen some of those in use, and although they do work well for big lawns, they don't have the grunt for thick and heavy fields.or brush.

As ChiXJeff suggests, one good possibility would be a small diesel tractor with a loader. I have an ~82 Ford 1510 (not for sale, mind you -just for example) which will do just about everything you're looking for, though its 20 horsepower requires a certain amount of patience - no bushhogging up hill in third gear like the old NAA. Some of those older Japanese-made 4WD tractors are starting to show up at reasonable prices. I got mine with a broken PTO but just about everything else in good shape, including a good loader and a heavy-duty rear scraper, for $2500.

Once you have a loader, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Ary'01XJ said:
Forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between a material bucket and a "front end loader" or a "9' blade"?? I've been around construction my whole life, but not farms and their terminology. Thanks

Ary

The "front end loader" I generally describe as the frame and hydraulics that mount on the tractor and allow you to lift something on the front, and tilt it back and forth. You can attach a bunch of different things to the front. A skidsteer is a pretty specialized loader.

A material bucket mounts on the loader, and is used for scooping, light digging and loading duties. It's used for dirt, gravel, grain and other stuff with a small nugget size, or odd shapped stuff.

A blade (or scraper) is a lightly curved piece (usually steel) that is used for pushing. It's got a pair of skid shoes behind the blade for depth control. This is what is mounted on the front of a 4wd truck for snowplowing duties. BTW, you can also get blades that mount on the rear 3 point hitch as well, but those are more frequently used for levelling dirt and gravel.

Depending on money, you may also want to consider a set of pallet forks or a boom.

You can go pretty large with a loader tractor. My brother just picked up a brand new Kubota M9000 w/ cab and loader. Over $40,000 with everything he ordered.

ChiXJeff

As far as a tractor, I would highly recomend a Kubota. I had a 70 acre plot that had a good mix of woods, field, and swamp. The Kubota was exelent in all area. Avoid the turf tires though. With 4x4 and an axel lok\ck on the rear dif., I could dig, pull, push, wollow through any thing I wanted to. With a little fab work I mounted an old snow plow frame into the loader bucket for winter duties. Kubotas have been around long enough now that you should be able to pick up a good used one for $5000-$6000. Just avoid turf tires!

Awesome, thanks guys. If I were to say that the budget was $10k for everything tractor related(don't really know, just guessing), i.e. the tractor and all it's implements. What would you point me at(definately wanna buy used, don't believe in buying new, just lose money that way). One thing I'm slightly concerned about is the amount that this tractor and any other equipment/or vehicles(quads) will sit unused. We're talking like weeks at a time, and there's no guarantee that if my parents go up that they will go around and start all the equipment and let it run to keep it in shape. What do you guys think about that?? The barn is a wooden shell, dirt floor, tin roof, no insulation, doesn't even have doors yet(in other words, it will keep the snow and rain out, but it will still be freezing in the winter and hot in the summer. It's a solid 7yo structure, just not highly accessorized. Thanks so much everyone, this has turned into a real education.

Ary

Is there electricity to the barn? Wal-Mart now sells battery maintainers. They send a trickle charge to the battery, but have a voltage monitor so they shut off when the battery reaches full chanrge to prevent boiling out the electrolyte.

Install it on the tractor. It has leads that go to the battery terminals, and a plug. When you park the tractor, you just plug it into an extension cord.

If the barn has electricity, probably the best thing you could get for it would be a battery tender to keep the batteries up.

If you get a diesel, make sure it has a block heater.

If you're going to buy used, it's hard to go wrong with Kubota. A bunch of stuff is Kubota specific, but they're built well.

Security....... figure out some way to chain down your stuff. If you're not there frequently, it may not be there when you get back.

Electricty is not in the barn yet, the power lines run literally 10 feet from the barn, so we will be installing a panel probably around the same time the tractor gets purchased. I'm pullin for a concrete floor so I can use the space as a shop, and maybe even a heated concrete floor for when we're in the barn for any length of time(any info on this?). I'm kinda planning on taking over the main floor of the barn :D My dad wants to use it as an archery range, but that's easily done on the top floor w/o any downsides. I will probably insulate it and do some sort of finishing on the inside, not drywall, not really sure, maybe peg board or 1/4" plywood?? The roof is tin and has surface rust, so I will need to paint that before the cancer really sets in. The barn needs doors too. Guess I'm gonna have a fun/busy summer :) I'm so excited about this I can't sleep at night, I always wanted to be a farm boy, I guess this is as close as I'll ever get :D

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:
Guess I'm gonna have a fun/busy summer :) I'm so excited about this I can't sleep at night, I always wanted to be a farm boy, I guess this is as close as I'll ever get :D

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Matthew Currie said:

A loader will not work like a plow, because it will not shed the snow off the sides of the blade. You'll have to stop when it fills, go sideways and dump it. If you do get a tractor with a loader, you can get a plow blade to replace the bucket, though.

Matt, you need more horsepower or less snow. :D

I have 10+ acres of fields that require now-and-again mowing (nobody needs the hay any more, so I just mow to keep it from reverting to woods). I use a '54 Ford NAA (31 PTO horsepower) tractor with a 5 foot bush hog. It has plenty of power for this, and will do a lot very quickly. A bush hog will do a pretty neat job even on lawns when set low, but still can get into the rough stuff - very versatile, but pretty power hungry. Any one of the family of small Fords starting with the 9N in 1939 would do that job nicely, as would many other farm tractors. The Ford (and similar Ferguson) are a good size, though. Avoid tractors with "tricycle" front ends. You can sometimes find a real bargain on these old tractors if you don't mind the looks, but some, such as the NAA, are getting a bit rare and collectible, so the prices are going up. Many of these tractors (including most older Fords and Fergies) also do not have a "live" PTO, which means that they run through the transmission and the clutch. An overrunning clutch on the PTO shaft is an absolute must if you run a bush hog.

For other attachments, if you have a long dirt driveway, a scraper blade on the back, or a heavy duty York rake (or both) are well worth looking for. The scraper blade can also plow light snow.

I think a good solid old tractor with a PTO-driven mower will serve better and probably be a better deal than a self-powered mower behind a Jeep or ATV. I've seen some of those in use, and although they do work well for big lawns, they don't have the grunt for thick and heavy fields.or brush.

As ChiXJeff suggests, one good possibility would be a small diesel tractor with a loader. I have an ~82 Ford 1510 (not for sale, mind you -just for example) which will do just about everything you're looking for, though its 20 horsepower requires a certain amount of patience - no bushhogging up hill in third gear like the old NAA. Some of those older Japanese-made 4WD tractors are starting to show up at reasonable prices. I got mine with a broken PTO but just about everything else in good shape, including a good loader and a heavy-duty rear scraper, for $2500.

Once you have a loader, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.
:D

I'm 100 % with you on the above...
And I found the link. There are some who'll tell you it can't compete with American tractors. If you're looking for a cushy, hydropstatic controlled unit....it won't and can't compete.

I like the price, and especially the fact that it DOES NOT have a new fangled hydrostatic-drive sysrtem on it. I like selecting my own gears.... and if you want fancy, the second gear and reverse are placed directly opposed to each other for "shuttle" ability. :)

188002_lg.jpg

tractor link

OK, I skimed, I admit it. but if you want a cheap tractor for general utility loko for cllo old Stuff.

Nothing IMO, would be cooler to tow a brush hog then a old Case WD-45 or olm "M"

Ary'01XJ said:
Awesome, thanks guys. If I were to say that the budget was $10k for everything tractor related(don't really know, just guessing), i.e. the tractor and all it's implements. What would you point me at(definately wanna buy used, don't believe in buying new, just lose money that way). One thing I'm slightly concerned about is the amount that this tractor and any other equipment/or vehicles(quads) will sit unused. We're talking like weeks at a time, and there's no guarantee that if my parents go up that they will go around and start all the equipment and let it run to keep it in shape. What do you guys think about that?? The barn is a wooden shell, dirt floor, tin roof, no insulation, doesn't even have doors yet(in other words, it will keep the snow and rain out, but it will still be freezing in the winter and hot in the summer. It's a solid 7yo structure, just not highly accessorized. Thanks so much everyone, this has turned into a real education.

Ary

Ary,

when we purchased our second farm (the tractor and implements came with the first one... but it's 90 miles away.)
We purchased a Farm Trac 45 horsepower 2wd unit for these 25 acres.
With a quick release bucket, bushhog, auger and boom lift...the bill was $17K
I like the manual tranny, hi and lo range ability. I don't like the fact that it was 2WD. There is also a preheater for winter months. Mine always started last year if I preheated it for around a minute.
These tractors are imported from Escorts Limited and are lock, stock and barrel direct from Ford 2000 molds that were sold to the India company. Long tractor started importing them back to the USA, and the only difference in the prior Ford and the new Long piece is that they are now embossed for Long loader frames.

I agree again with Chi... You should be careful what you wish for. I haven't had a day to relax since I bought these farms. If I'm not making hay, I'm building barns. If I'm not mowing our yard grass, I'm bushhogging the other 20 acres (and it grew ALOT this year because of the amount of rain)
It is so easy to get behind.
If you need calculations for the amount of concrete and construction materials....just hit me via e-mail. I'm curious....is it on the other end of West Va. from Charlestown?

Back