• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AJ's SuperRails & Murphy's Law

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I love the rails. High quality, and straigther than a factory XJ will ever be.

I just wanted to post a message about this since this install is generally considered easy by most. I'd agree that there is nothing particuarly challenging about Rock Rail installation.

I expected this to take 2-3 hours, but it ended up being more like six. The first rail went on fine for the most part. I followed AJ's advice and used vice grips to hold the rail in place. This worked suprisingly well. Having you typical box of drill bits, I didn't realize that I was missing the critical 21/64th drill bit. That was my first trip to Lowes. I decided to drill the holes with the rails mounted, and I thought this worked quite well. You have to be careful with the pinch seam holes since you are eyeballing it and drilling it from the inside out.

My first problem came when I snapped my 21/64th drill bit on the last hole of the first rail. I switched over to the pinch seam holes, which somehow killed my HF drill (big suprise). My next trip to Lowes included two more 21/64th bits (just in case), along with a new drill.

I decided to follow the instructions on the second rail, by mountin the rail first, marking the holes, and removing for the drilling process. I gave up drilling the frame holes because the bit seemed dull as heck. I discovered that my new 21/64th hitachi bit was actually a 5/16th bit. The fun part is that the package was correct. I think they repackaged a dull 5/16th bit in the 21/64th package. Luckily, I bought two new bits.

Removing the rail made it easier to drill, but I found that some of my frame rail holes didn't line up. I planned on sticking with my original method by my replacement drill was much too large to fit in the small space. I managed to get all the nutserts in without stripping any. Ultimately, I got all the bolts in and the rails lined up, only missing one pinch seam bolt. I need to get at that one with a replacement low profile drill.

So somehow this turned into an annoying 6 hour job, a chunk of that time spent at Lowes. I'll post some pics later...

same problem here man. took at least 4 hours to do my jrc rails. so simple but yet so hard! had more problem with the rails then i did my lift!

Some pictures. They have a can of primer and two cans of Rustoleum 'Hammered', dark grey. I decided to paint them first since rain-free days are few and far between in Seattle. They didn't get too dinged up during the install. I plan to touch them up on a regular basis to prevent rust.

Suprisingly enough, there aren't a lot of good pictures of these rails. One thing I noticed is that the front sticks out farther than the back. I don't know if this is by design or what. I know that AJ builds these on a Jig, so it's probably just irregularities in the XJ.

3381365186_c102bc02a3_b.jpg

3380548285_dae6c08d1b_b.jpg

3381341258_df4327babf_b.jpg

3381351284_48a5e941f7_b.jpg

Just a tip on drill bits--I've totally given up on "high-quality" ones and use Harbor Freight step bits. They zipped right through 1/4" plate when the $20 Fastenal bit kept getting dull (even with cutting oil) and took FOREVER.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think they would have worked for the nutsert holes, but I've been meaning to pick up a set. I like the Dewalt bits because they have a pilot tip on the end. It keeps the bit from walking when you first start drilling.

Those look great - my JCRs arrive today... I'll be re-reading your post before I start the install.

What size lift and tires do you run?

Some pictures. They have a can of primer and two cans of Rustoleum 'Hammered', dark grey. I decided to paint them first since rain-free days are few and far between in Seattle. They didn't get too dinged up during the install. I plan to touch them up on a regular basis to prevent rust.

Suprisingly enough, there aren't a lot of good pictures of these rails. One thing I noticed is that the front sticks out farther than the back. I don't know if this is by design or what. I know that AJ builds these on a Jig, so it's probably just irregularities in the XJ.

3381365186_c102bc02a3_b.jpg

3380548285_dae6c08d1b_b.jpg

3381341258_df4327babf_b.jpg

3381351284_48a5e941f7_b.jpg

I think it is the design of the unibody. My JCR's stick out farther in the front too. Its nothing terrible though!

That is a good post and a great looking XJ. Get that beast lifted!

I did not have any difficulties with my SuperRails. I used tape to mark where the holes needed to be drilled, removed the rails, and drilled without breaking a single bit. I'm not sure how I got so lucky.

That is a good post and a great looking XJ. Get that beast lifted!

I did not have any difficulties with my SuperRails. I used tape to mark where the holes needed to be drilled, removed the rails, and drilled without breaking a single bit. I'm not sure how I got so lucky.

I should add that the broken bit was my fault. I was trying to enlarge a hole and had the bit inserted in the hole at an angle. It's funny, some of the tough projects go silky smooth, and some of the easy stuff turns into a nightmare.

P.S. I'm pretty happy with my 2" lift. Based on the current offroading abilities, daily driver usage, and my trail preference,I really can't justify anything larger.

AJ sent me a 21/64th drill bit with my rails when I got them this past summer, but maybe he doesn't do this anymore? Whatever brand it was, it worked fine for the entire install.

Back