• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intakes

cuchulainn

NAXJA Forum User
I know I am a newbie and I also know that this has been talked to death. I should know I have spent hours on here and everywhere else looking up answers and haven't found anything that really helps. Everything seems to simply bring up more questions. Heck I even tried the Oilbill page or Billoil page which ever it is where the guy tested the filters. For some reason I can't get the images. At any rate, I want to increase the air flow going into my engine a 2000 XJ 4.0, and I am not limited to drop in filters, I am not adverse to fipk's or such but is there a solution. Something that increases air flow but also allows good filtration. Thanks for the help.

You will get zero performance gain, the stock filter provides more air than the 4.0 can use...

Some people say they notice more, I haven't notice any on mine.

I went to a 2.5" exhaust with a hi-flow cat and a flowmaster, that seemed to wake my jeep up a bit, but that may have just been from my old cat being in pretty bad shape, I don't know.. the jeep only had 32,000 miles on it.

I have a 60mm bored throttle body (renix era xj) and it made no difference at all. I tried a throttle body spacer, also no difference.. I took it back out later as I pulled the throttle body and didnt really feel the need to keep the spacer.

On a renix era, some people say a high altitude CPS helps a bit with more power.

Go with the K&N FIPK, I definately noticed an increase in power (in the mid RPM range) just be mindful that with an open filter doing proper maint. is key to keep it filtering correctly and keeping the road junk out of your engine.

I'll back the K&N FIPK kit, put it on my 99 increased my fuel econ and alittle more power, get the nylon prefilter if your worried about it not filtering as well as a paper one

fscrig75 said:
I'll back the K&N FIPK kit, put it on my 99 increased my fuel econ and alittle more power, get the nylon prefilter if your worried about it not filtering as well as a paper one

I know this is probably going to start the usual debate (war) but correct me if I'm wrong, but the pre-filters catch the larger stuff, not the small stuff. The small stuff is what supposedly gets by the K&Ns.

I had the K&N and went to a Donaldson filter and noticed NO drop is power or economy. Just my .02 seeing as it does filter MUCH better than the K&N.

cal said:
You will get zero performance gain, the stock filter provides more air than the 4.0 can use...

Wow can we see your source for this assertion? Assuming of course that this doesn't require mooning everbody?...

53guy said:
I had the K&N and went to a Donaldson filter and noticed NO drop is power or economy. Just my .02 seeing as it does filter MUCH better than the K&N.

I'm going for a Donaldson filter as well. They're less tahn $70 on eBay right now. Not a bad price IMO.

Yup, donaldson filters and canisters are usually on ebay for about 50-60 bucks total for the filter and canister. its also great for snorkels or cowl induction or some other style intake methods.

I have a cheap 20$ ebay paper cone filter with no cat and a flowmaster seems to rev faster and pull alot harder on bottom end. As far as saying you will gain nothing by putting a intake that is not true at all. You breath throw a straw see how you like it!

Well I use to also believe that the intakes would make no power but was recently proven wrong. AEM intakes just used my 200,000 mile XJ as a testbed to R&D a new intake for the XJ's.....well, they did dyno runs before and after and there was an average of 10 HP gained across the board. My XJ doesd have exhaust, and header, but none the less, it made a HP difference. I did not get to drive it since the production model is not yet out, so as soon as I do, I will report out on it.....

53 guy did you have a fipk or just a drop in K&N filter? also do you have a model number for that donaldson there website is almost useless.

cuchulainn said:
53 guy did you have a fipk or just a drop in K&N filter? also do you have a model number for that donaldson there website is almost useless.

I had the FipK thing. The go on ebay and type in g070020 and it'll bring the filters up. But the model number is g070020.

I have a Rock-it with K&N, it's loud.

P1300011.jpg

Back