• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl intake

Cool idea but with that pipe laying right across the valve cover I'm sure thats
heating up real nice , kinda defeating the whole cold air thing .
Good for water don't know about power . I'd kind of like to do it just to see
what effect it would have on the motor after it heats up , if any .

Probably sounds cool with it coming right from the cowl though .

Its loud, and I don't prefer it. I had the RockIt intake on my '99, which is still drawing air from the engine bay, and it was obnoxious. I donated it to the giveaway rig and put the stock airbox back in, with an Amsoil filter.

P1300011.jpg

Yeah, I can only imagine how noisy the throttle is with it chambering in the cowl - probably hear it pretty good through the AC/Heat vents.......

My CAI that I vented through the fender and out through a marine air intake vent is pretty noisy on initial start up until the IAC closes.

Yeah, I can only imagine how noisy the throttle is with it chambering in the cowl - probably hear it pretty good through the AC/Heat vents.......

My CAI that I vented through the fender and out through a marine air intake vent is pretty noisy on initial start up until the IAC closes.

Its the IAC that closes? my CAI is SUPER loud at first still and I figured it just got quieter because the engine warmed up and stopped running rich.

Its loud, and I don't prefer it. I had the RockIt intake on my '99, which is still drawing air from the engine bay, and it was obnoxious. I donated it to the giveaway rig and put the stock airbox back in, with an Amsoil filter.

P1300011.jpg

That looks like a nice short smooth pipe , with good grommets at the filter and
throttle , I'm sure it was loud as hell .

I'd like to see some kind of ( box ) that the filter could pop through the top of
the hood like a ram air scoop or something . Not all big and goofy but low enough to fit in a cowl hood .

P1300011.jpg

I had one of these on my jeep when i got it, all i can say is that they are horriable! they rub on your hood and are loud.

Its the IAC that closes? my CAI is SUPER loud at first still and I figured it just got quieter because the engine warmed up and stopped running rich.

Yep - if you look down the opening of the throttle body, you'll see a 2" long opening on the side just above the butterfly. That's where the engine draws additional air for idle. The IAC is an electric motor/servo that pulls open and pushes shut a plunger valve that allows air to come through that opening, bypassing the butterfly into the intake. It makes quite a hissing/air rushing noise when it's drawing air.

I like it! Everything is loud in a Jeep................. who cares........ turn the music up :D

Cool idea but with that pipe laying right across the valve cover I'm sure thats
heating up real nice , kinda defeating the whole cold air thing .
Good for water don't know about power . I'd kind of like to do it just to see
what effect it would have on the motor after it heats up , if any .

Performance............... :roflmao:............:twak:

Performance............... :roflmao:............:twak:

A true Cold Air intake can actually add good performance to a shaty breather box any day .
Again it has to done right , no ribbed plastic , pipe needs to slightly reduce in diameter as it graduates to the throttle body and it needs to draw outside air from the eng. bay , otherwise
you just get good sound and throttle response , keeping the pipe and filter as far away from heat
as you can will help the air stay condensed as its forced into the throttle body .

Plastic pipes don't work for they heat up real easy , I've dyno tested every vehicle I've thrown a
REAL cold air pipe on and they average 3-7 HP , up at this altitude I would put one on every vehicle I could , not so much for power but Oxygen . Cold Oxygen , my 4.0 is just screaming for
air .

Back