• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB mounting (center vent)

kccherokees

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a new cb and was thinking of places to put it, searched and found many places to put it but then I was looking at my Jeep the other day and thought, why not mount it in the center vent under my ac controls. Has anyone ever done this? How would I reroute that vent? Do you think it will be a lot of work? Just trying to think of a place that would be out of my way?? Thanks

Chris

I think a pretty popular place is on the passenger side of the tranny tunnel. I think mine will end up there when I get one. You may be able to do an overhead style mount also. But I like the idea of the center mount vent, I was wondering the same thing, but I haven't found any info on it.

For mine I was thinking about IN the center console. My 95 has a little tray kinda thing right under the ash tray. I think it would fit pretty well if I cut that out and made a little mount for it.

nhrocker said:
For mine I was thinking about IN the center console. My 95 has a little tray kinda thing right under the ash tray. I think it would fit pretty well if I cut that out and made a little mount for it.
only problem with that - the tranny tunnle is right there. you have about 1/2 the depth of the CB in the tray then right under that is carpit then tranny tunnel. i thought about that.

i have read that people run a piece of flatstock across their roofline - from where the visors clip in on each side - and mounted a CB to that... Ive seen it done on a grand, but just mounted mine in my passenger's legroom.

Measuring mine I found it to be not enough vertically, but at an angle a smaller unit would just tuck in. Mines also an auto, if that makes a difference.

You are right a small enough unit will fit right in the vent hole. My MJ had one mounted there when I bought it. The previous owner simply blocked the air flow with a piece of cardboard and slid it into place. This particular model was a perfect fit, pop the vent louvers out and slide it in, friction fit no hardware required. When I took it out I simply popped in a replacement vent and you'd never know it was there. I'm not sure what model the CB was but it is still in a box at my parents house, I think it was a Cobra though. I'll check it out next time I'm there.
Tony

I mounted mine to the ceiling. Its a bearcat.
I used the screw holes for the clips of the window visors in the center. Cut a piece of metal that would stretch the distance between the holes and then drilled screw holes in it for the ceiling screws and two more holes for the CB mount. Painted it to match the ceiling and put it all together. Ran the wires through the roof, down the A pillar and out to the battery and antenna. Works great, at eye level and up out of the way.

right in front of your knee on dash. if you are of average height you wont have any problems banging it with your knee

I have a cobra mounted to the left of the drivers seat. I welded a bracket to a short bar and drilled holes in that bar to match those in the plastic trim at the bottom of the dor jam. You just screw it into place, its out of the way, and the wires can just be run under the trim. Works great when i don't need it, it is out of the way and when i need it it is right in arms reach.

Back