NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Closed Thread

Old June 23rd, 2005, 16:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: DO NOT POST FSMs ON THIS FORUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Officers and Directors of companies and organizations are there to be a little paranoid. It comes with the responsibility of being responsible for the organization. A lot of people don't want that kind of responsibility, so it's rather unfair to gang up on one of the people who is willing to step up to the plate.

Paranoid or not, DaimlerChrysler has teams of lawyers, and when it comes to protecting their trademarks and copyrights they have a reputation of being worse than junkyard dogs. Why should take the chance? Don't forget, if a problem should arise out of this kind of activity, it wouldn't matter if we ultimately won in court (as unlikely as that might be). By the time we got through the initial discovery phase would be broke and out of existence.

Okie Terry stated the policy. Why can't we just suck it up and play according to the rules?
Quote:
Originally Posted by casm
doesn't control the content of external links.......
Yep, paranoid!!!

Like I said earlier, if this is the case, not a single link already posted is valid, therefore we're already opened up for frivolous litigation and they all should be deleted. I make the motion that all links presently, and in the future should be deleted so as to not subject ourselves to the penalty of the law.....Not a great idea, but I guess itís whatís needed. Who's going to volunteer?
Old June 23rd, 2005, 16:36
NAXJA Forum User

DC just needs to drop the crap and get back to building a REAL rig instead of grocery getters.

There DC guys. I said it. GET TO WORK. IFS bites !!
Old June 23rd, 2005, 16:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNDRVR
Quote:
doesn't control the content of external links.......
Yep, paranoid!!!
Whoa... Hold on a sec, there. I still stand by what I said, but I never meant for that to imply that we would be free of potential responsibility. I agree with your basic stance, but there are subtleties in this that could potentially be problematic for us. Consider for a moment that we're discussing this in an open forum where anyone - DCX legal included - can read it. If someone posts an FSM link and they decide to be difficult about it, we can't exactly feign knowledge of the potential legal ramifications - and that's based on this thread alone.

Besides, we could always do a Fahreheit 451 and have each of us memorize different parts of the FSM so that it's always there from memory. "My name is the Chrysler Corporation Factory Service Manual for a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, section 8-E..."
Old June 23rd, 2005, 16:44
Curmudgeon

Not a chance of using "plausible deniability" to defend ourselves. We (speaking as a club member) know that a: we can't distribute copies of the FSM and b: we can't point folks to where they can violate copyright as that's aiding and abetting.

In short, it has to be policed. I don't think that we need to drop ALL links to sites that host illegal copies, but we certainly do need to drop links that are directly aimed at copyright violations.

's founders and BoD spent quite a lot of time thinking and figuring out how to stay off of D/C's radar screen. Pretty smart and shrewd IMHO.

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 17:11
NAXJA Member # 13

I hereby nominate TRNDRVR as appointed legal counsel to litigate any and all lawsuits that may be directed to relative to links of any kind, including Little Smokies Buffalo Links.........
Old June 23rd, 2005, 18:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
doesn't control the content of external links...
Quote:
Whoa... Hold on a sec, there. I still stand by what I said, but I never meant for that to imply that we would be free of potential responsibility.
There, I fixed it for you.
I too stand by what you said because I agree with the premise of your statement. But, if posting a link to a site that has posted something copyrighted without the holder of said copyrights permission, then without prior knnpledge ` ALL posted liĢbs presdtlx on@AXJA, te all #pspect. Leave them all, are delete them all. As I see it, it's our nnlypwo optfns.

Bottom ane is dlis, wepe very pmall p?qatoes. Doubt very much would be a subject of any litigation resu<qing fr?h the ppting of an err.aeots wbsite lbk.

Once again,
PARANOID!!!

Maybe wd shpld stap sdlliN` thn flls hatB with NPJA embiiddredhn them.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 18:20
Water is dirty

RD8 DO NOT POST FHs NN TCS FORUL

TUOTE=TEDRVR]M xbe we should start selling tin foils hats with embroidered on thk. :duni:[/QUO@]

T8at'r GlD`n'r dep.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 19:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Bottom line is this, we're very small potatoes. Doubt very much would be a subject of any litigation resulting from the posting of an erroneous website link.

Once again,
PARANOID!!!

Maybe we should start selling tin foils hats with embroidered on them.
With over 10,000 users we are no longer "small potatoes". After carefull and resonable consideration of your perspective I have reached the following thought.

Stuff a sock in it.

HTH

Rev
Old June 23rd, 2005, 20:11
Water is dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Den
Stuff a sock in it.
Tube or crew?
Old June 23rd, 2005, 20:13
NAXJA Forum User

Exclamation Re: DO NOT POST FSMs ON THIS FORUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Den
After carefull and resonable consideration of your perspective I have reached the following thought.

Stuff a sock in it.
Big words little man. Your thought process must be extremely small if this is all you can come up with.
Your inteligence just shines!!!
Old June 23rd, 2005, 20:19
NAXJA Member

Talking Re: DO NOT POST FSMs ON THIS FORUM

Quote:
Big words little man. Your thought process must be extremely small if this is all you can come up with.
you are chasing a big fish there TRN...

I'll leave the FSM's to Pirate tech...
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 20:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_ranger
you are chasing a big fish there TRN...
With the Rev? Yeah right!

I've been extremely sedate with this conversation, and the Rev pops off with a post like that. All I can say is BRING IT ON!
Old June 23rd, 2005, 20:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Little man??....1st time I have been called that, those who actually have met me will disagree.

This is not new...we have been down this path before....way back...remember?

Rev

Oh..BTW - it's "Intelligence", 2 L's there big boy.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 20:51
NAXJA Forum User

But you do have him in the mustache department, Dan.......
Old June 24th, 2005, 00:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Speaking of DCX' persistence:

http://natecovington.com/jeep/service_manuals.htm

Just in case anyone was wondering if yes, Virginia, there really is a legal department.
From the above site - "...I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards, Cindy Julian"

I hope I never, EVER get an email/letter/phone message from a DCX lawyer who's looking forward to hearing from me. That's time to burn the house down, fake your own death, collect the insurance money and live the rest of your life in Baja, drinking margaritas...

and handing out free copies of Chrysler FSMs to the locals - "Donde esta '93 Plymouth Laser?"
Closed Thread