• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help trimming

gajeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I am indecisive on how I want to trim my rears. I am installing a 4.5, and will run 33's. I have been told i can cut off up to the pinch welds, OK got that! and I then, can cut verticle slits upto another 1 inch and hammer fold or bend over the tabs. Ok wait, if you cant cut past because of seperation, then you make verticale slits and bend them over , wouldn't this let water in? Anyways, if your not busy, have experiance, and your willing to help, I am in west ga in Dallas/Hiram area I have cold beer/cokes and Food! I have a hack saw, and until last week i had a grinder. I also have a sawzall. I thought of using a cut off wheel. :yelclap:"Yea, Pancakes!"

If you cut along the pinch welds it will allow the wheel well and outer skin to seperate requiring that they be welded back together. If you do perpendicular slits (and many of them) it will allow it to be folded over and smoothed out. If you're worried about water getting in pull the interior panel and run a bead of silicone inside to seal it up, or like I did herculine everything outside and it's all sealed up tight.

jig saw worked great for me...dont try to use cutoff wheels on the grinder takes forever

grinder and cutoff wheel is the way to go. If it takes to long you're doing it wrong or you need a better grinder.

did mine with a dremel before the bushwackers. the hardest part is taking off the brackets.

angle grinder + 1/2 hour. its easy to do....i only did up to the pinch weld, didnt cut and fold on my last jeep

watermark.php

How it looks cut and folded then herc'd for good seal.

nicely done. for some rear bumpers...you have to do the cut/fold on the rear quarters as well, since they wrap around. ill be doing that on my current xj whenever i pick up a rear, as i like that added protection it gives.

Looks good, I am still a little too chicken $#!t to cut mine right now, but I will soon.

Whatever you do, do it in a open area. I used an angle grinder in my garage the first time and thought I was going to die. The door was open, but the smoke is just really strong.

i took a air nibbler to mine up to the pinch, and then ball peened them over til they were smooth so that my tires (32 inch KM's) could rub if needed without them getting cut, it works like a charm, i went over them work with some matte black rustoleum to finish it off.

Back