• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine dies after reaching operating temp.

850jim

NAXJA Forum User
I have been through all 56 pages of the forum and have not found anyone with this problem. 1994 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L, auto trans, 4WD, 192,000 miles, had the transmission completely rebuilt last January. Almost home from work 3 weeks ago, engine just dies, costed off the road, put in park and restarted like normal, it died again 3 more times in a 2 block area. After some troubleshooting, from a cold start it cranks and runs great till the engine reaches a temp when the Aux cooling fan has to kick in, at this point is when the engine starts to die “like turning off the key” a slight spit/sputter and that’s it. Will immediately restart and run smooth for 30-60 seconds then die again. And will continue to do the same till you get tired. Have replaced the usual, TSP, IAC, Temp S, Air Intake S. (The CPS, Coil, Distributor pickup, plugs, wires less than 6 months old).
Could this be an Alternator issue?
Aux cooling fan causing a voltage drop?

Well, if you have AC, turn the AC on right after a cold start. If it's related to the fan, it should die immediately.

Does it run longer if you wait 10 min to restart?

I too suspect the CPS.

The CPS brand is Duarlast from Autozone, had to believe that would fail within 6 months with no off-roading or hard driving; have not tried disconnecting the aux fan or turning on the AC at cold start up, ran out of time and over weekend. Thanks!!!!

I have seen coils crap out when hot fairly regularly. The same goes for CPS.

This sounds like a problem I have had on several Dodge Dakotas of the same vintage. In every case it has always been the ECU. Chrysler used a water proof backing on the ECUs that would eventually crack and let moisture into the circuit board and cause soldered joints to become sketchy. I tried all the things first that you mentioned and out of frustration I put a new ECu in them and the problem is solved.

The CPS is the primary suspect when there is unexplained stalling. Being a DuraCrap part from China just reinforces the suspicion.

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a " Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Problem solved... Was not the CPS..sorry guys... Two items a weak battery and failing alternator. Battery was just strong enough to crank but pulled a heavy load to recharge, with a old alternator that was failing and could barely keep up with the demand. When the Aux fan kicked in, it pulled to much load, dropped the voltage and caused the ECM to shout down. Thus engine just stops running, but would always start right back up. Found this out using two DVM's to monitor the Amp draw. New Alternator solved the problem and replaced the week battery...

Back